Flair up on my hands

Options
Jackie195505
Jackie195505 Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:10 in Living with arthritis

Hello, I am new to this , I have had a flair up of my hands and it has made me feel really poorly , I have osteoarthritis and waiting for hip replacement .

need some advice on how to cope with it this is the worst it’s been , I go to aqua aerobics three times a week to keep my self moving , but not been this week .

Comments

• Tom
    Tom Member Posts: 522
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @Jackie195505 .

I see that you have osteoarthritis, are currently experiencing a flair up in your hands. You are waiting for a hip replacement.

Here is some hints on pain management:

Most would agree that any movement you can manage will help. Can you talk to your GP about your pain medication and maybe ask for a referral to a pain management clinic?

This is a link to information specifically on osteoarthritis of the hands:

Lets hope you don’t have too long to wait for your hip replacement.

Keep posting and let us know how you get on.

Tom, Moderator.

• SoniaR
    SoniaR Member Posts: 30
    Options

Hi Jackie, I have osteoarthritis in my thumbs and knees. Are you on any pain relief at all? I take Co-Codamol and it really helps reduce my pain and luckily I have no side effects. I wear a thumb brace on the worst affected hand and it really helps and it stabilises the basal thumb joint. I wear it when writing, typing, scrolling etc. I usually wear it a couple of hours at a time as it can get a bit sweaty! . It was recommended to me by my Physio. It’s expensive but so much better than other braces I’ve tried. Another thing that helps with hot, burning pain is cool gel packs wrapped around the joints. They are a bit like the soft gel ones you use for a cool box, but made specifically for painful joints. I use them all the time.