Psoriatic Arthritis and Fatigue

Options
ramccaber
ramccaber Member Posts: 4
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:10 in Living with arthritis

I have newly diagnosed Psoriatic Arthritis.

Although I have other symptoms, I’m finding that the worst part for me is the fatigue. A flare up can put me out of action for several days.

Is anyone out there experiencing the same thing? Any tips or tricks for relieving symptoms during a flare or keeping them to a minimum?

I’m yet to be prescribed any medication, are there any particular drugs I should ask for?

Comments

• chrisb
    chrisb Moderator Posts: 682
    Options

Hi @ramccaber  

Welcome to the versus arthritis forum. 

You’re recently diagnosed with PsA and are experiencing fatigue. You’d like you hear from any forum members who can offer any advice as to how to relieve the symptoms. 

There will be plenty of forum members who have found themselves in your position so hopefully you’ll receive some really valuable feedback. 

In the interim you may find these links useful:

I hope the input you receive helps you manage your condition and that you find joining the forum a very supportive experience as you progress through your arthritis journey. 

Best Wishes

ChrisB (Moderator)

Need more help - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options

We use the word fatigue to describe how we feel under a flare but it's very different to the usual meaning of the word. An inflammatory form of arthritis, such as PsA, is systemic ie it involves our whole system not just the odd joint. It can thoroughly flatten us. I'm a great believer in 'keeping calm and carrying on' but, in a flare, I think we can only allow,our bodies the rest they crave. Coupled with a few Range of Movement exercises so as not to lose what we have. Hopefully, once you're on DMARDS, it will all improve. Your rheumatologist will decide what drug is best for you. Sulfasalazine seems to be the most popular starting med with PsA but others are used too.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • ramccaber
    Options

Thank you for replying so quick! Fatigue is probably the best word I could think of to describe what I experience and at this stage it is much more debilitating than my joint problems. I can still exercise without pain, but during a flare I can get a full night of sleep and still sleep all of the following day.

I’ve not found much info on how PsA causes this fatigue/lethargy/brain fog. So any links would be appreciated.

Is dropping everything and sleeping 18-20 hours a day really the best thing I can do to get through the flare as quickly as possible? Or is pushing through and continuing to work / exercise beneficial?

I know that PsA is different for everyone, so would like to connect with someone suffering it in a similar way to myself.

• jamieA
    jamieA Member Posts: 711
    Options

Hi @ramccaber

I was diagnosed with PsA in 2020 and certainly for me fatigue comes as part of the package. I would say though that if you are sleeping 18-20 hours a day that probably needs looked at by a medic. I'm certainly affected by fatigue far more now than before I had PsA - whether that's due to what's happening in my system or the effects of constant aches and pains I don't know. I often go for an afternoon nap now. I used to be a sound sleeper and now my night sleep is punctuated by 3 -4 periods when I wake. One rheumatologist I saw said that the body's own production of steroids ceases during sleep and that may be the cause of my waking at 3-4am. The cytokine proteins involved in PsA causing our joints to become inflammed are also reckoned to cause fatigue.

papaa.org is a good site for psoriasis/PsA information.

creakyjoints.org is another

• ramccaber
    Options

Thank you for the above!

Fortunately the fatigue comes with a flare and lasts up to a week, with a flare coming once every 5-6 weeks. It seems so random, as otherwise I have plenty of energy. I had a hospital appointment this week so I guess I need to wait for my X-rays and bloods to come back before getting prescribed any meds. 🤞🏻

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options

Frustrating thiugh it will be, I think you're right. It's a waiting game. Once you're established on DMARDS (and that can be a long process) things will improve. Meanwhilè, I think you can only learn to recognise the symptoms of an oncoming flare and rest asap.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright