Long waiting times

Options

I have got to have my left knee replaced then the right knee later. I have been told I have to wait a year for the first one but the pain is really making me sad and depressed,that’s a long time to wait and I’m in terrible pain.

Comments

• Anna
    Anna Moderator Posts: 968
    Options

Hello @nannyhicks49

I’m Sorry to hear you’re feeling low with the pain from your knees. Could you contact your GP to review your medications? You might find the link below some help - it suggests ways to ease the pain.

Do let us know how you’re getting on, and if you want to chat to someone, our free helpline is available from Monday to Friday, 9am-6pm. Here are their contact details:

Best wishes,

Anna ( Mod)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Trish9556
    Trish9556 Member Posts: 522
    Options

Hi @nannyhicks49

Sometimes you just need to keep yelling and shouting at the people who tell you you have to wait. You don't have to wait, they have to fix you so you're not suffering any longer! Be assertive and make sure the GP and your surgeon are aware of your pain and depression.

Sometimes it's those that shout loudest that get things done quickest so be one of those!

Love n hugs

Trish xx

• Dianes1
    Dianes1 Member Posts: 43
    Options

Hi nanny hicks, who is that said you have to wait a year. Was it your gp or hospital consultant?

It is awful when you are in so much pain.

• SoniaR
    SoniaR Member Posts: 30
    Options

That’s why I’m going to have my knees done privately. They won’t do my knees on NHS as my BMI is too high, but private will, go figure! Obviously I don’t have that sort of cash, but my friend has kindly given me £10,000 for the first, and I’ve done Equity Release for the 2nd. The cost, including all appointments, surgery and physio will be £14,000 each knee. A bloody fortune but I’m fed up of being fobbed off. Most private hospitals do have loan schemes to help pay for surgery. My consultant even admitted measuring people by their BMI is just a cost cutting exercise. He said he would do it tomorrow on the NHS if it was up to him. Cruel ****.