Preparing for knee replacement

Cashmeer
Cashmeer Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:10 in Living with arthritis

I have been advised to have total knee replacement but would rather not have it if I could find other ways of coping. I am not in a lot of pain but my mobility is affected and my knee is deformed by the osteoarthritis. I exercise regularly and can still enjoy walking but if I do too much I get pain. I am also a carer for my husband who has Parkinson’s so having surgery is not going to be easy. Looking forward to hearing other peoples experiences.

Comments

• Poppyjane
    Poppyjane Moderator Posts: 734

Hello @Cashmeer welcome to the online community

We are a friendly peer support group who help those affected by living with arthritis, so we are glad you found us and hope that we can help you with some of your concerns.

You have been advised that you need a TKR because it is affecting your mobility, you are hoping that there might be other ways of coping. This is a discussion that numbers of our members have had and I attach a link that gives you some information about knee surgery. One of the key advantages you have is that you are able to walk regularly and that will help considerably pre and post operation (should you choose that route).

I expect that part of your decision making will revolve around the care of your husband during your time in hospital and during your recovery period, with that in mind I attach the links to some charities and agencies that will be able to help you set up a support network.

www.ageuk.org.uk

www.carersuk.org

www.turn2us.org.uk

Of course you may already have links with Parkinson's UK and your local Social Services .

I hope this information is helpful and there is loads more on the community especially in the section "Living with Arthritis" so do take a look. Do let us know what you decide about your knee and l hope our members will be able to offer you their experiences when faced with a similar situation.

Take care

Poppyjane

If it would be helpful to talk to someone ring the Helpline 0800 5200 520

Monday - Friday 9.00a.m. - 6.00p.m.