Sjögren's syndrome and OA

Options

I was wondering if the above arthritis has and connections to S.S.. I have severe OA and also many symptoms of S.S. But no diagnosis of it.

Tagged:

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options

I don'-t think there's a connection. The connection is with autoimmune forms of arthritis. However, I imagine there's no reason why having OA would exempt someone from Sjorgrens, alas. Why not ask your GP?

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Hermione
    Hermione Member Posts: 16
    Options

Being an autoimmune inflammatory condition, Sjögren’s is most often associated with other inflammatory conditions like RA or lupus, but I had RA for starters, then a main course of SS, then OA came along for pudding, with a few side dishes too – so a few things on my plate. Diagnosis of SS is tricky and can take a while.  It’s a syndrome so it affects everyone differently.  Unfortunately most GPs are not well informed about SS, so you’re probably best asking for a referral to rheumatology if you think you have SS. If you haven’t seen it already, the British Sjögren’s Syndrome Association website is very helpful and if you join (£25 a year, well worth it) you’ll have access to a number of local support groups across the country, an online forum, online seminars from leading experts and much more.  Good luck with the diagnosis. It’s not a nice thing to have. No cure and very little effective treatment (sounds grim but “managing” is possible).

• Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,628
    Options

Apologies for hijacking your thread @Pinkorchid

I just wanted to welcome @Hermione to the online Community and thank her for such a helpful first post.

Hermione I can see, with your experience, that you will be a real asset to the online community and hope you'll decide to hang around.

I would normally give you a far better welcome than this but for some reason I am having techie issues myself and am unable to post you any links this morning.

However I am very pleased to have you on board.

Best wishes

Ellen.