On my mind today...

Options

It's a mental thing. Not accepting and coping as well as I thought I would.

A relatively new diagnosis of RA and trying to negotiate guidelines, changes, call queues in lunch breaks and new (to me) symptoms/ realisations with few answers available leaves me feeling a bit lost.

More poignant this morning on feeling inspired to bake after reading through some recipes on site (Val's cafe) but having to think twice.

While I'm still finding my limits and learning to pace but still have daily chores to complete and work to go to I find I'm not juggling this "take it easy" but "don't stop or refrain", well.

My body is signalling one thing, my mind another. I'm not adjusting as well as I'd hoped.

Comments

• Lane
    Lane Member Posts: 113
    Options

Hello @movingslowly

You are recently new to RA and it sounds tough for you. It is good to see that you have taken some interest in the Val's Cafe, who knows maybe next time you will cook something. It is important to go at your pace. I have attached a link from our website, take a look and let us know what you think:

Thank you for getting in touch with us. Our members will be connecting with you.

Best wishes.

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options

@movingslowly , I'm over 60 years in with RA and still juggling the 'to do or not to do' thing. Sometimes it's jusr an on the day thing. Often compromise is required ie do bake but bake someting easy or something that can have built in rests. It doesn't get easier. We just get better at it. Apart from the 'Oh **** it, I'm doing it anyway', days. And, yes, there are days when, no matter how good and cheerful a juggler we are (and I think you're doing really well) the whole thing just gets us down. As former member @dreamdaisy used to say......there's nothing wrong with the occasional dip in the pool of self-pity, as long as we don't choose to live there😆

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Trish9556
    Trish9556 Member Posts: 522
    Options

Hi @movingslowly

We can only do as much as our body allows us to do. We can stretch it a bit and sometimes the mind is willing but the body says no and I understand where you're coming from.

I found it a terrible struggle at work with just my hands and neck. But, I was lucky I was a PA to a wonderful boss who knew I needed to get up and go and move and stretch for anything up to half an hou but he also knew the work would get done regardless. I was also able to work from home when I needed to.that way I survived working until I retired last year. He still has me on speed e dial lol. I do hope you have a similar wonderful boss who understands and knows your limitations and needs. If not, can you sit down with him and explain how the RA is affecting you and what you need to do to keep working? If he/she doesn't understand speak with your GR department. Employers have a duty of care for people with long term conditions/disabilities.

Please don't beat yourself up, I do that enough for you me and everyone else at the moment but at the end of the day I screw it up and throw it away. Tomorrow is another day.

I hope you feel better today? Message me if you need support. I can't always promise to answer straight away but I will answer.

Love n hugs

Trish xx

PS don't beat yourself up over housework. It'll get done when you can and a bit if dust never hurt anyone. 😘 Xx