Chlorestrol and Psoriatic Arthritis

Options

Hi, this is my first post, "hello" to everyone!

I am 58 and was diagnosed with Psoriatic arthritis in 2019 when I saw a consultant who took some x-rays. He left shortly afterwards and I have seen a nurse twice since then. The last time in November when I phoned and requested an appointment, then we discussed Osteoarthritis not PA I have been given no medication for PA, I phoned the Versus Arthritis helpline this morning and spoke to a very helpful gentleman. I am worried as my chlorestrol level has risen sharply, although I am told it's borderline. The doctor I spoke to said he didn't know the reason and wasn't too concerned. It was the second raised level result in 6 months I am worried as I eat healthily and exercise every day. I read about a possible link to my PA and called the helpline to ask if I should take statins. The gentleman I spoke to this morning told me I should have received x-rays or scans to check for inflammation in my joints to see if I needed medication to protect me from damage caused by the arthritis. I called my Rheumatology department and was shocked to find I have no Consultant now! My last appointment with a nurse was due to me telephoning and requesting an appointment from which I was told I also have osteoarthritis. I called today and can only have an telephone appointment with a nurse in just over a month 's time. I am worried about any damage to my heart as I have not been properly checked since diagnosis in 2019. Should I ask to be at least put on statins by a doctor? I never seem to see the same doctor twice (I have never actually seen the doctor who is listed as my GP.) The doctors never mention PA and it was only doing my own research I discovered the link between chlorestrol and PA. As I receive no treatment I am concerned over the past 3 years + damage may have occurred.

Comments

• Anna
    Anna Moderator Posts: 968
    Options

Hello @HayleyO and welcome to the online community,

I understand you were diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis in 2019 but you have been given no treatment for it, and at your most recent appointment you discussed having osteoarthritis. On phoning the hospital Rheumatology department you later found that you no longer had a consultant. You are also concerned that your cholesterol level has been rising and it may be affecting your heart. You also are wondering if there is a link between high cholesterol and PA.

I can understand your concern - it seems like there has been some confusion or some miscommunication over your PA diagnosis, and this needs to be sorted. The Helpline were right to say that you should have had tests if PA was suspected. I wonder if talking with one of your GPs would help? Your surgery should have received details of your 2019 appointment and all the subsequent appointments, so they might be able to shed some light on what is going on. Although you might not see the same doctor, they will all have access to your medical record so will be able to see your history. They also may be able to explain why you have not been put on statins. There is a slight risk of cardiovascular disease with PA, so it would be good to get this checked out.

I’ve linked to some information about psoriatic arthritis which you might find useful to read. As well as discussing symptoms and treatments, it also suggests some self help measures to deal with the pain and also your emotional health.

Do have a look round the forum and ask any more questions you may have - everyone is very friendly and supportive.

Anna ( Mod)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• HayleyO
    HayleyO Member Posts: 5
    Options

If I am honest I have very little faith in some doctors at my surgery. It's probably not their fault as they are over stretched, but they never seem to read my notes and when I speak to them this is very apparent. I have found the hospital and surgery also do not seem to communicate, when asking if results from the hospital have been received it is common for them to have no clue on what the results were and vice versa. The hospital may also be at fault too, I recently discovered I should have been receiving regularly dermatology appointments, but hadn't for several years as I had been "lost from the system". I was asked by one doctor previously if I wanted statins and declined as I wanted to do more research. I then decided it would be a good idea and asked for them and was told I didn't need them, however this was before I knew about the risks associated with PA. This doctor told me my Q Risk (I think this is correct) didn't meet the criteria, but I think it's possible my PA wasn't included in the calculation. Thank you for your advice, Versus Arthritis has been really helpful and given me much more advice than I have been given before.

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options

This seems to be a real medical shambles, doesn't it? Yes, docs are overworked but.......

Firstly, could you simply join a different ,edical practice? It's very easy. You just ask to join and they do all the paperwork.

Secondly (actually, probably firstly) you need a proper diagnosis of either PsA or OA or maybe both (some of us have done the double) and, if you have PsA, you need Disease Modifying AntiRheumatic Drugs (DMARDS) asap.

3. It's not likely that anyone will give test results over the phone. Usually it must be someone who is medically qualified to give them so either by letter or at an appt.

4. PALS (Patients'Ad isory and Liaison Service can sometimes help if all else fails. Find your local one.

5. Good luck! Keep plugging away.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright