RA and biologics

Options
aoc1234
aoc1234 Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:10 in Living with arthritis

Hi there, thank you for adding me into your site. I’m looking for advice and support with anyone using biologics to treat RA. I had taken Sulphasalazine when originally diagnosed then had to go on Methotrexate for many years but eventually due to infections and stomach ulcers I had to stop last year. Currently in limbo as the next suggestion from rheumatologist was to go on biologics but side effects can be extreme and honestly I’m scared to take these. How has anyone else got on with them and have they suffered side effects? I’ve had 2 steroid injections meantime but I have permanent damage to wrist and fingers from previous flare ups and don’t want to risk anymore damage. Many thanks

Comments

• Dannii28
    Dannii28 Member Posts: 65
    Options

Hi @aoc1234

Welcome to the Online Community Forum, so pleased you have found us, you will find there are lots of resources and information available to you, please feel free to take a look around the website.

I would also suggest having a look around the other forums as there might be other members that are going through the same thing as you, and be able to share their own advice and experiences.

I have attached the link regarding RA and the types of treatment available including biologics which you may find useful.

Dannii (mod)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• CCM
    CCM Member Posts: 113
    Options

Hello, @aoc1234, I have been self injecting with 40mg of Amgavita every fortnight for the past year. I had previously been on the medications you list, though I finished with the DMARDs with Sulfasalzine as the Methotrexate was causing nausea and stomach pain. Yes, there are concerns at the side effects, but the rigorous blood monitoring is designed to catch these. Since I started on the Amgavita my liver and kidneys have all remained clear.

By the way, it works (at least for me). I know because I had a flare when I had to pause the injections after I got Covid. I am now back on them and all is going well.

Good luck and try not to worry.

CCM

• jamieA
    jamieA Member Posts: 712
    Options

Hi @aoc1234

Like @CCM I'm on the adalimumab biosimilar Amgevita and have been since late July 2021. Also like you I was first put on sulfasalazine and then 3 months later methotrexate was added. Neither worked and 9 months after diagnosis I was put on Amgevita. In my case the medics haven't stopped the sulfasalazine and MTX so I take all 3 drugs. I had a rheumatology appointment today and the doctor I saw was previously a researcher and English was her second language. She gave me the best and simplest explanation for still having me on all 3 drugs. She said research had shown that the sum of the benefit of all 3 drugs taken together is greater than the benefit of each individual drug then added together - 'so 1+1+1>3'.

I've had no side effects at all from the Amgevita that I know of. I do recognise it leaves me immunocompromised so I'm more careful in what I do and where I go. Amgevita has worked for me - I'm not pain free but at least I can live an independent life.