Rituximab and Knee replacement

Options

I have recently joined this group. I have RA/lupus crossover. My rheumatologist calls it Rhupus .

I have had Arthritis since I was 16and now am in my late 50s. I have recently been out on Rituximab and have since had trouble sleeping. I can get to sleep but not stay asleep. Having really vivid dreams. Does anyone else have these or any ideas what to do to resolve it .

I work full-time, am the main breadwinner in a high pressure job and need to be able to commit to deadlines and specific days in the office, the side effects from the Rituximab are not helping.

I am also awaiting confirmation of needing knee replacement. So far my appointment has been cancelled 3 times with the Orthopaedic surgeon. Was meant to be in October 2022. Wondered if anyone knows which orthopaedic surgeons for knee replacement do NHS work at Sussex Orthopaedic Treatment Centre, but also work privately. I have been told I can only have the op at an NHS hospital, as I have APS and am on warfarin. But trying now to do the pre and post appointments privately.

All I want to do is get on with my life and my job. I understand everything is busy at the moment . But it is really getting me down now.

Comments

• Dannii28
    Dannii28 Member Posts: 65
    Options

Hi @CarolineE

Welcome to the Online Community Forum, so pleased you have found us, you will find there are lots of resources and information available to you, please feel free to have a look around the website.

I see that you have been suffering with Rheumatoid Arthritis and Lupus and have been taking Rituximab but are struggling with sleep.  

I have attached some links below which you may find useful.

I would also suggest having a look around the other forums as there might be other members that are going through the same thing as you and be able to share their own advice and experiences.

Let us know how you get on

Dannii (mod)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Catkins1971
    Catkins1971 Member Posts: 17
    Options

Hi. I’m in a similar position to you-RA, work full time, had rituximab 10 months ago and also can’t stay asleep with horrific nightmares - sometimes 2 or 3 a night. Got lots of other health problems too so I’ve always just put it down to being worried about my health causing the sleep problems but with you saying the same, maybe it is the rituximab? I’m 51 and had RA for 18 years, MXT was great for the pain for most of those years but gave me all sorts of serious side effects. The rituximab has been great so far but pains just beginning to come back. GP just puts the sleep problems down to my age, even though I haven’t had menopause yet, that’s always their get out clause! I recently tried doing some meditation audio things on YouTube and Spotify. The ones I did had different mediation for different circumstances, eg can’t get to sleep; can’t stay asleep; stress; etc. I didn’t think that sort of thing would work but it did most of the time.

I can’t offer any advice on the knee replacement but I hope you get it sorted out soon. Good luck with everything :)