Naproxen

Hi everyone, I hope you are all doing okay.

I'm searching for some help.

This week I have been prescribed Naproxen by my GP. My question is how long, in your experience, did you take it for before you saw an improvement in pain level? I was also prescribed Pregabalin but if Naproxen helps on its own, I'd rather just take that. I have a job that requires me to think on my feet and be on the ball which is hard enough without any meds lol.

Thank you!

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332

Hi @Lilydog66

I'm sorry I haven't tried naproxen, but my eldest daughter swears by it. It gives me the runs😳 I take Arcoxia instead which is also an anti-inflammatory.

I find about 2/3 days and I notice an improvement but try to avoid taking it long-term as it isn't great for our stomachs long term. I have been prescribed a PPI (proton pump inhibitor) to protect my stomach a bit.

Most of us who take anti-inflams who need to take them a lot mine is lanzoprazole.

I take it you are worried that the pregabalin might affect your concentration? I took gabapentin years ago up to the max dose and it didn't affect me at all.

Thing with meds is we are all different it seems to be a case of trial and error🙄

Hopefully someone who actually takes naproxen will be along soon to help you.

Take care

Toni x

• scotleag
    scotleag Member Posts: 84

I was first prescribed Naproxen almost 20 years ago and am now on a 'take it when you feel you need it' basis. To be honest I only take it in extremis as it affects my stomach. I find it very quick acting - same day - but of course individuals vary and there's no way of predicting what effect it will have on you based on my or anyone else's experience. You'll just have to try it and see.

One thing I will say is that it has no effect whatsoever on my cognitive function and I have yet to hear anyone say it has.

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740

I was on Naproxen and cocodamol daily for over a year until my new hip arrived. But I was also prescribed omeprazole to protect my stomach. Some people have bad reactions to omeprazole, (eg my mother, who used max strength Gaviscon instead), but I think I read somewhere you can't take omeprazole long term. I had no problem with either.

It's hard for me to say how long it took to take effect as I started on the cocodamol at the same time. To be honest the pain was so bad, all they managed to do was keep me mobile and take the edge off the pain. People react to drugs differently, and effectiveness will depend on the severity of your condition, so it's hard to predict how it will help you. As others have said, all you can do is try it and see what happens.

• Fran54
    Fran54 Member Posts: 176

Hi.

I was prescribed Naproxen about 18 months ago and was only taking it as and when needed ( I was also given Omeprazole to take with this to protect the stomach lining ). With me it started working after about 2/3 days. Recently I have been taking it more or less on a daily basis and after asking my Doctor if it was ok to take it more frequently and long term, he told me it was ok. To start with I did have slight constipation, but this seems to have cleared up now. As other people have said before, everyone reacts differently to medication. I hope that you get on ok with it.

Take care.😊

• JesB
    JesB Member Posts: 3

I have been on Naproxen for the last 4 years. I also take omeprazole. I don't find any real issues with the Naproxen. I am in a higher dose now than when I first started taking it. Now i only take it when I need it. Previously, I was on it daily.

I also take dihydrocodine when I need it, I find it does make me sleepy and a bit dizzy where the Naproxen is totally fine.

• CarylW
    CarylW Moderator Posts: 260

Hello @Lilydog66

You may find the following information helpful. Naproxen is a great drug if you can tolerate it, and you are usually prescribed something to help with your stomach as well.

Best wishes

CarylW

Need more help? Call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Ella1
    Ella1 Member Posts: 2

Hi

I was prescribed Naproxen twice daily and Pregabolin to go along with tramadol twice daily and paracetamol. I’m 57 and have had 2 hip replacement’s and am also suffering with Bertolotti syndrome I have no issues with Naproxen but was unsure whether to take the Pregabolin too as I work full time and was also worried it would make me tired. I get tired enough working with osteoarthritis and daily life chores. How does anyone else feel with it? I know all medications work differently for everyone. Tramadol works well for me on a short term basis when I have a flare up.

• Ella1
    Ella1 Member Posts: 2

Hi

I was prescribed Naproxen twice daily and Pregabolin to go along with tramadol twice daily and paracetamol. I’m 57 and have had 2 hip replacement’s and am also suffering with Bertolotti syndrome I have no issues with Naproxen but was unsure whether to take the Pregabolin too as I work full time and was also worried it would make me tired. I get tired enough working with osteoarthritis and daily life chores. How does anyone else feel with it? I know all medications work differently for everyone. Tramadol works well for me on a short term basis when I have a flare up.