Waiting for funding

Barney2023
Barney2023 Member Posts: 1
edited 1. Jun 2023, 14:28 in Living with arthritis

My husband has RA for 17 years had to stop methotrexate due to lung nodules. Now waiting for funding for an anti TNF drug Adalimumab, anyone have any experiences of funding and this drug? I live in Essex

thank you

Comments

• CarylW
    CarylW Moderator Posts: 260

Hello @Barney2023

I am glad you have found the online community here and I hope we can help you find information and support.

I hope the funding comes through for your husband's treatment - do let us know how you get on.

You may be interested in the following information:

We look forward to hearing from you again,

Best wishes

CarylW

Need more help? Call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• jamieA
    jamieA Member Posts: 691

Hi @Barney2023

I live in Scotland so it may be different here. I was put on the adalimumab biosimilar Amgevita in July 2021 but before that happening I was prescribed firstly sulfasalazine and then methotrexate was added. My understanding of the protocol at the time was that it had to be demonstrated that 2 conventional DMARDs hadn't worked and that I had to have 3 swollen joints whilst on the 2 DMARDs before the move to a biologic (or biosimilar) would be considered. This was due to the cost of the biologic. Within 4 weeks of the examination to show I had 3 swollen joints I received the first delivery of Amgevita.

During my internet search for information on Amgevita I came across a document from a health authority in England that stated the cost of Amgevita to the NHS was £3550 per annum.

Amgevita has worked for me - I'm significantly better than I was. In the 9 months before being put on the drug I'd been admitted to hospital on 4 occasions when my PsA was extremely bad. I've not been admitted for PsA since I've been on the drug. I'm not cured by any means but I'm functional - which I wasn't during those 9 months. I am aware that Amgevita leaves me immunocompromised so I am careful in what I do and where I go.

I came across this document with regard NHS England if you've not seen it before.