Fatigue!

Options

How does everyone cope with fatigue, this is killing me and taking a real toll

Comments

• Dannii28
    Dannii28 Member Posts: 65
    Options

Hi @James1980

Welcome to the Online Community Forum, so pleased you have found us, you will find there are lots of resources and information available to you, please feel free to have a look around the website.

I see you are suffering with fatigue. I have attached a link below which you may find useful.

I would also suggest having a look around the other forums as there might be other members that are going through the same thing as you and be able to share their own advice and experiences.

Let us know how you get on

Dannii (mod)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Trish9556
    Trish9556 Member Posts: 524
    Options

Hi @James1980

My fatigue is horrendous at the moment and I'm not sure if it's the meds, the arthritis or my bronchiecstasis but I can sit down and fall asleep and the blink of an eye and it's getting me down. I am lucky enough to be retired so I can just sleep but sometimes I don't want to sleep during the day if we're out and about and then it's a struggle to stay awake.

If it continues I will have to speak to my GP about it if I can get hold of him!

Love n hugs

Trish xx

• TLee
    TLee Member Posts: 88
    Options

This is a huge problem with me as well. I've complained to doctors about it repeatedly, with no one able to pinpoint the cause. Blood tests showed low vitamin B12 and D, so took supplements--no improvement. Meds for heart arrhythmia show fatigue as a side effect, but suggest that it should subside as the body adjusts--it's been over a year. Discovered that O2 levels drop occasionally during sleep, so now use supplemental O2 at night--no change. I also feel so sleepy during the day that it is an effort to accomplish anything. It is hard to explain just how much this can affect one's life. Aside from the pain in my bad hip, this is probably the worst thing that I have to deal with. I'm interested to hear others' experiences with this.

• Baloo
    Baloo Member Posts: 398
    Options

Your welcome. I suffered fatigue before arthritis, all thats changed is it became worse. Today I phase out at my desk at work, although with the arthritis its a different kind of struggle to maintain attention on what I am doing. It no longer feels like falling asleep and more like having a rest. I don't know if you will relate to this, but it comes with a very strong feeling that there is something not normal about it, like I'm going to pass out or something while trying to concentrate.

• Trish9556
    Options

Hi @Baloo

I've had that feeling a bit and when I've fainted and gone to hospital it turned out my potassium was low. Maybe worth just having a banana every day? See if it works? I'm supposed to have two a day and try to but they're the devils fruit and I hate them :)

Love n hugs

Trish xx

• jamieA
    jamieA Member Posts: 711
    Options

Hi @James1980

Have you had your bloods checked recently? Since I first had the symptoms of PsA a degree of fatigue has been part of my life. My guess is it's now due to the fact that my night's sleep is broken multiple times due to the effects of the PsA but it was at it's worst when I was anaemic.

Hi @TLee

Are you taking NSAIDs and a PPI like omeprazole? I was diagnosed with anaemia last year - B12 and D deficiency - and omeprazole turned out to be the cause. As it's prescribed to protect the stomach lining from the side effects of NSAIDs it also stops the absorption of certain vitamins from food.

• jamieA
    jamieA Member Posts: 711
    Options

I subscribe to the creakyjoints website and funnily enough this link just dropped into my email this afternoon. Although it refers to PsA I think most of the tips are suitable for all.

• Baloo
    Options

@Trish9556 I happened to be eating bananas one a day. My Mrs bought me a banana shape banana box but I only take one banana and then throw the peel back into the box so it can go back in my bag without making a mess. It's a really cool box. I also learnt how to peel a tough banana without a knife if it's of any interest, you can't snap the stalk but you have to split the stalk vertical instead and then off it goes. Easy.

@James1980 I often have to wait until I feel better and the fatigue has passed. This is a tough call. My knees were too stiff to get off the settee this morning and that was me done for. I got the rubbish out to the bin around 12:00. I'm not aware of anything I can do about it until I feel better and then the whole mood changes. For a long time now I set aside my do list and just work through the tidying up at whatever speed it will go.

• Trish9556
    Options

Thanks @Baloo

I've seen those cute little banana containers around at various times over the years but they always remind me if the devil's fruit! I love any fruit but never have liked bananas and Luke them even less since I've been under doctor's orders to eat two a day.

That reminds me I have half a dozen on the hanger. Should really eat them...

Love n hugs

Trish xx

• James1980
    James1980 Member Posts: 3
    Options

Thank you for your replies and suggestions. I have been diagnosed with ME and Fibro so explains the fatigue.

I am starting to wean off the huge amount of opiates I take and hoping this will improve my situation.

best wishes

• Baloo
    Options

Sorry to hear that @James1980 I wouldn't know the best kind of nursing for ME and Fibro, but if quitting from opiates is the right way to go then good. I am currently quit from Paracetamol since I think I have some joint damage I need to feel it and care more for the joints until they heal up a bit.