The Floor Seems Very Far Away

Options
BetterChoices_2023
BetterChoices_2023 Member Posts: 1
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:10 in Living with arthritis

I am new to sharing online but since my very recent diagnosis I realise the value of sharing and learning about others experiences and ways of managing. I no longer can get down and up from my yoga mat without dread of pain and needing to find a wall to help me. Once I am down and on my back I feel such relief! I wonder if others have strategies for this.

Comments

• Anna
    Anna Moderator Posts: 975
    Options

Hello @BetterChoices_2023 ,

I have the same issue and find that using a chair to lean on when I get down and get up always helps. Alternatively, I do my stretch exercises while seated on a chair - it’s not quite the same but it’s still good. I have seen chair yoga classes at my local gym.

Anna ( Mod)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,742
    Options

I had to give up my pilates classes eventually and havent been able to go back due to post op issues, but I can remember a lot of what we were taught so do my own ‘classes’ at home as part of my physio. I find either prising myself up off the bed/chair (whatever’s nearest) works, but I can also get up by turning onto my front, get onto my knees with hands on the floor, sticking my bad leg out behind me and sort of pulling myself up into a downward dog (hopefully as a yogist you’ve followed all that).