Implications of steroid jab working?

Options

Hi all,

I had my 1st rheumatology appointment this week after suffering pain and swelling in my joints since Christmas- 1st my hands and wrists, then elbows, then knees and finally my feet started to join in, as well as fatigue, dry eyes and mouth and morning stiffness. Inflammatory tests the gp did were just above normal (but they didn't test RF) so the consultant ordered more tests as he wasn't comfortable making a diagnosis at that point - but he did get me a steroid jab in the bum, which has been nothing short of amazing. I have a follow up appointment in May but I'm wondering if the steroid jab working so well suggests the joint issues definitely are inflammatory, and if so whether there's any other possible causes apart from rheumatoid arthritis? (No signs of PsA)

Also, is this likely to last to May? I'm not sure I can cope with going back to how much pain I was in before it.

Thanks- lurking on other's posts while I waited for my appointment really helped me cope.

Comments

• noddingtonpete
    noddingtonpete Moderator Posts: 1,005
    Options

Hello @Nikbok and welcome to the community. We are a friendly and supportive group and I hope that will be your experience as well.

I understand that you are waiting to find out if you have rheumatoid arthritis and that the steroid injection worked well for you. Let's hope it continues that way. In the meantime I've put a couple of links in below from our website that may be of some interest.

and

Please keep posting and let us know how you get on.

With very best wishes

Peter (moderator)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• jamieA
    jamieA Member Posts: 711
    Options

Hi @Nikbok

I found that when the steroid injections worked I got about 4 weeks relief. I think they try and limit the number they give you to about 4 a year due to possible side effects. Though in my case I ended up having 12 in 10 months, mostly directly into my joints but about a third into my rear end.