How do?

Options
MarkInSussex
MarkInSussex Member Posts: 31
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:10 in Living with arthritis

Morning all,

Recently diagnosed with chronic RA after being lost in the system for a number of years and not getting the treatment or help i needed, all culminating last year when i spent seven weeks in hospital after my body basically gave up and i couldn't move, since then have received excellent care from my Rheumatologist and community care teams, Physio's, OT's, Mental health etc.

I take enough pills each day to make me rattle, or is that the sound of my knees as i'm walking bone on bone in both knees and currently awaiting bilateral knee replacement surgery, and just for good measure my hips, shoulders, elbows and hands are affected too, yup, i'm a bit of a mess at the moment.

I try to keep a happy face on things and keep myself busy and as active as i can, some days are better than others, but i figure if i can get more good days than bad then im on a winner, I think the hardest thing for me is i've always been very active and would think nothing of putting my walking boots on and doing 10 miles or so over the South Downs, now i struggle to walk 20 meters, i shall get there though and once i've had my op, i can hopefully get back to the woods and hills that i love and be amongst nature again.

Enough of my woes, look forward to being part of the community and learning a few things from you all about living with RA.

Comments

• Lane
    Lane Member Posts: 113
    Options

Hi @MarkInSussex welcome to our online community where you will meet members to share tips and advice.

I understand that you have chronic RA for a few years. You spent several weeks in hospital where you received excellent care, as your body gave up.  You are taking a lot of medication and now waiting for bilateral knee replacement surgery.  Your hips, shoulders, elbows and hands are also affected.  It sounds like you are dealing with a lot. You enjoy walking but now struggle.  You are interested in learning from the community and how to live with RA.

Whilst you wait to connect with our members, I have attached a couple of links from our website for you to have a look at; one about RA and the other walking tips:

Thank you for being able to tell us what has happened to you.

Best wishes.

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options

I love your attitude. I've had RÀ over 60 years and, believe me, it's not all doom anď gloom. And there is very good life after knee replacements. I just like to go with the flow, not put limits onto what will make me happy but do what I can and take up something new for anything I have to abandon. That makes for a very interesting life. Good luck.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright