Elbow joint replacement

Catch23
Catch23 Member Posts: 3
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:10 in Living with arthritis

Hi,

My name is Paul I am 72 and I suffer from Rheumatoid Arthritis and Osteoarthritis. I had a knee replacement 5 years ago which has been very successful and I currently have a steriod injection in my ankle approximately every 6 months which gives me great relief.

I have now been informed by my orthopaedic consultant that the only option to treat my right elbow is a total replacement joint. I have had steriod injections previously which gave short term relief but this is now no longer an option as it could cause complications if I decide on surgery.

I am informed by my consultant that I will only be able to lift at maximum a bag of sugar. My hobbies are fishing and gardening. Both of these activities involve lifting pushing and twisting.

Is there anyone who has had an elbow replacement that could give me some information about what such a joint can tolerate in day to day living and what other restrictions there are in caring for the elbow joint.

My only form of pain relief is paracetamol as having had a heart attack 4years ago I have to avoid anti inflammatory drugs .

Thanking you in anticipation

Paul

Comments

• SharminB
    SharminB Moderator Posts: 90

Hi @Catch23,

Welcome and thank you for joining our online community.

Here's a little bit of information on elbow replacements from our website: 'A replacement joint can never be as good as a normally-functioning natural joint. The range of movement will be less than with a healthy natural joint. Some movements, such as reaching above your head, may not be possible, although most people will be able to carry on with normal everyday activities.'

You might also find it useful to post on our 'Living with arthritis' forum thread to hear about other people's experiences.

Best wishes,

Sharmin - Mod :)

Need more help - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Catch23
    Catch23 Member Posts: 3

Thank you for the information