Struggling

Options

I am 51 and my brain still thinks I am 19! Yet my body feels 100. Last night I got stuck in my bath! I have psoriatic arthritis and I fell a couple of weeks ago injuring my shoulder. Hot water is a great comfort to me and now I am scared to bathe. I have a younger partner who i’m sure didn’t sign up for living with a disabled person, who finds it embarrassing to be seen with me on my scooter. I don’t want to live like this.

Comments

• noddingtonpete
    noddingtonpete Moderator Posts: 1,015
    Options

Hello @Minlawton and welcome to the Community. We are a friendly and supportive group and I hope that will be your experience as well.

I understand that you psoriatic arthritis and having some problems with mobility. Have a look at the following from our website. Hopefully it will be of some help.

and

Please keep posting and let us know how you are getting on and I am sure others will connect with you to share their support and experiences as well.

With very best wishes

Peter (moderator)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Woofy
    Woofy Member Posts: 274
    Options

Sorry to hear you are having a rough time of it. This disease is pants isn’t it. I have really found it hard adjusting to not being as able bodied as I once was. Takes a bit of getting your head in the right space. You didn’t ask to be as you are, be kind to yourself.

• Baloo
    Baloo Member Posts: 409
    Options

Yes. Not getting in the bath is pants. My Mrs. had arthritis first and wanted I shower. I looked into it and didn't fancy the idea, then I got arthritis too. Its in my knees and shoulders so lowering myself into the bath became near impossible. First we fitted a plastic bath seat in the tub, same height as the rim so its easy to slide on. Then a plastic bath lift.

• Fran54
    Fran54 Member Posts: 192
    Options

Hi @Minlawton

Yes I started struggling getting in and out of the bath last year ( have osteoarthritis in my right knee ) and at first bought a step that helped, but eventually decided that a proper shower cubicle was needed. Drastic measures were needed and I had my bath removed and a shower cubicle put in and I am so glad that I did. For me it was a question of looking ahead and see how things could be made more manageable.

My next project is making my patio more 'arthritis' friendly with hand rails being put in strategic places.

I hope that your shoulder is improving. Take care.🙂