Practice Plus Group

Options

I'm currently waiting for my second hip replacement op. The first hip op was completed very successfully in May 2022 after a wait of 3 months. The second hip was added to the waitlist in July 2022 and after 2op dates in November, December the hospital (QA Portsmouth has been in 'crisis' mode with no hips ops completed and no planned resumption.

I now feel'mini crisis' mode with loss of mobility and accompanying pain and discomfort, to the extent that I'm looking at self funding options. An organisation called Practice Plus Group has been suggested, it appears to be linked to NHS, and is significantly cheaper than local private hospitals and able to offer operation projected dates in weeks rather than months. Has anyone in the Verus Arthritis community any experience or views of this organisation?

Any comments or experiences would be very welcome - thank you

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options

I've never heard of them so I checked them out and, frankly, wouldn't touch them with a barge pole.

if you're thinking of going private don't think cheap, think good. Pain does make us look for quick routes but remember you could end up in a worse situation than now. Find your nearest private gospital. Check out their surgeons. Are they qualified to work in NHS. Then look for independent reviews of the hospital.

It's tough when you're waiting in pain but........

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options

P.S. I'm not one of the Helpline team, just someone with several replaced joints.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • ray44
    ray44 Member Posts: 5
    Options

Thanks for your response.

The reviews are truly awful, but appear to be all about the 111 'service'. The hip surgery process appears to be similar to the NHS, pre op consultation, x-ray and post rehab support, and in Hampshire are part of the NHS hospital set up. However, investigating continues, thanks again.

In a wider context this could be the start of creeping privatisation, as with Dentistry, Eye care etc?

• helpline_team
    Options

Hi@ray44

Thank you for your posting on the forum. I am sorry to hear that you are having to wait so long for your hip replacement and that you now feel in crisis mode due to the loss of mobility, pain and discomfort. We cannot advice or recommend any particular organisations that offer health care but speak to your GP or practice nurse at your surgery if you feel your condition is getting worse.

Can you speak to your GP about the amount of discomfort you are in so they can look at your pain relief. Also the advice of a physiotherapist may help with exercises while you wait for the surgery.

I have also added a link to the NHS website that has information on potentially choosing where to receive treatment. Our links below have information of managing your condition while you are waiting for your surgery. I hope that this is helpful to you.

While you're waiting

Hip Pain

NHS - Can I choose where to receive treatment?

Best Wishes

Dawn

Helpline Advisor

• ray44
    ray44 Member Posts: 5
    Options

Thank you Dawn, that's very kind! I was unaware of those options in terms of where to receive treatment. Ray

• Trish9556
    Trish9556 Member Posts: 524
    Options

My doctor's surgery is run by the practice plus group...

I haven't been able to see a GP since before covid and unless you can get through at 8 am you can't speak to a Dr either as all their slots are allocated and your records online are not showing the latest information in my health despite being diagnosed with lung disease that needs careful monitoring last month.

I'll let you make up your own mind.....!

Trish