Ibuprofen

Options
lindamay
lindamay Member Posts: 118
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:10 in Living with arthritis

Hello to all.

Sorry not looked on here for a while. I have had one hip replacement 7 years ago and found VersusArthritus very helpful. My other hip is now getting painful. I am getting pain while doing every day tasks and while in bed at night. I sleep with a small cushion under my legs which helps. I have been taking Ibuprofen ,2 in mornings and 2 at night for a while and they help. Are these ok to take long term or could they cause other problems please? Any advise helpful. Thank you

Comments

• CarylW
    CarylW Moderator Posts: 274
    Options

Hello @lindamay

Knowing how much medication to take is tricky, and I would suggest talking to you doctor about suggestions for pain relief. This information may help in the meantime:

Do keep in touch and let us know how you are.

Best wishes

Caryl

Need more help? Call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• lindamay
    Options

Thank you for your help. I have an appointment next week with the nurse to check blood pressure as it seems to have gone up lately (approx 165 /74 ) and mine is usually lower round about 130.78. so I will have a word with her about it.

• lindamay
    Options

I met with the nurse Wednesday. Blood pressure slightly higher. She said to book an appointment with the doctor, about my hip pain. Also I have another appointment with her next Wednesday to have an "MOT". Not been doctors for over a year except for flu/covid injections. Now they come along like buses.

• jonr
    jonr Member Posts: 398
    Options

Hi Caryl,

About your question regarding Ibuprofen. It was explained to me that most anti-inflammatories may cause the stomach lining to deteriorate which has the potential to cause internal bleeding so taking Ibuprofen long term might be risky.

In any event, far stronger alternatives are available and can be prescribed by your GP. I'm on Naproxen, which is one of the go-to anti-inflammatories for Arthritis. If your GP prescribes this he or she will almost certainly also prescribe something to protect your stomach at the same time, Omeprazole is the one I take.

There's also quite a few natural AI products available to help with inflammation to top this up such as Bromelain (derived from Pineapple), available in capsule form and Omega 3 fish or shellfish oil based products such as cod liver oil, Krill oil and something extracted from mussels. It's all personal so a bit hit and miss with what you might or might get on with. For example, I tried taking Glucosamine but it seemed to make my legs so hot I came out in a cold sweat. Now I come to think of it I could take this during the winter and turn off the heating lol!

Good luck,

jon

• lindamay
    Options

Afternoon I have just returned from doctors appointment. She advised me to make an appointment for an X-ray. She will refer me but I have to make the appointment. Looks like I will be going down the long road again, but an even longer wait this time. I have not heard of Bromelain. Can you advise where to buy this? Holland and Barrets maybe?

• jonr
    edited 13. Mar 2023, 15:45
    Options

Hi lindamay,

H&B sell 1500mg capsules for £9.99 and right now they've a buy 1, get 1 half price offer on.

If you decide to purchase, I hope it helps.

Jon

• lindamay
    Options

Do you know anything about TENS machines please? Do they work? Also do you have to renew them? I am completely ignorant on them.

• jonr
    Options

I do Lindamay, I bought one about 3 weeks ago on the advice of someone I spoke to at VersusArthritis over the phone.

These are generally handheld, battery-powered devices which are supplied with 4 wired or wireless pads. The pads are applied directly to the site of the pain where the TENS machine sends electric signals which feel like a prick or a buzz. These reach the brain faster than signals that tell your brain you are in pain so in that respect they offer instant relief to the area applied. Most of these machines have various settings for strength and the sort of signal. Another benefit is they can promote the release of Endorphins, the body's natural painkiller and feelgood hormone. Some people experience pain again as soon as they turn the machine off, others say it's longer lasting perhaps upto many hours later. These can be bought at Boots or Lloyds Pharmacy, or even on the internet. Might be worth popping along for some advice on which one's best for you if you're considering buying one. I have mine on in the evening for 30-45 minutes and it works for me, think it cost around £50 - I've paid far more than that for health supplements which only last a month so it's good VFM.

• lindamay
    Options

Thank you. That is very helpful. I will look into this.

I am full of praise for this site. It is so helpful and supportive.

• Teresapescado
    Options

Hi Lindamay,

My son purchased me a Tens machine about a fortnight ago. As I have hypertension I had to seek medical advice before using as there was a warning note on instructions. Doctor confirmed it was ok for me to use provided hypertension is being controlled. To be honest once I got the go ahead I have used mine daily. I am awaiting a full hip replacement and in horrendous pain pretty much 24/7. I have found relief in using my machine. Painkillers don't really do much to help me anymore, I'm probably too use to them; I've been waiting so long. I am therefore more than happy to stick on my pads and have a little charge. I would suggest checking in with your doctor if you have any health concerns as listed on the do's and don'ts list.

• lindamay
    Options

I was sent for an X-ray. Results were given to me over the phone. Doctor said it is moderate. She prescribed Co-codermol tablets and an anti inflamatory cream. I have been warned about the co-codermol as to what the side effects can cause so haven't taken them yet. I still take ibuprofen , just 2 at night. They help me sleep more comfortable. The cream is no different than the Morrisons own brand of ibuprofen cream. It helps a little. But it frustrates me that I cannot walk as far as I used to. At the beginning of the year I could walk between 3 - 5 miles and play badminton (although not geat but enough to enjoy a game. Now I struggle to walk round the block for a paper and badminton is definitely a "no, no". I just feel so frustrated with myself.

• jonr
    Options

Hi Lindamay,

Interpreting XRays when it comes to Arthritis is a bit hit and miss I think. My GP told me I had severe OA in my right knee and moderate in my left but as far as I was concerned, the pain I felt in my left knee was far worse than my right so I think it's down to the sufferer to decide how chronic their own condition is.

Like you I used to play Badminton plus I ran (a lot), walked, swam and cycled. I've spent a great deal of time trying different lotions and potions in order I can lead as normal a life as possible, as pain--free as possible and exercise regularly whilst I await a double-knee replacement.

I agree, Ibuprofen cream isn't as effective as others I've tried. I use Voltorol 12 hour gel, FlexiSeq and 5KIND Hemp Cream twice-daily. The issue with Co-Codemol is the Codeine element which can become addictive and if it's a prescription, the strength may also make you woozy. I tend to take 1 or 2 if I have a flare-up and usually an hour before anything vigorous, such as a big walk, a gym session or a long bike ride. The biggest difference for me has been Acupuncture, I noticed a definite improvement after 4 sessions though some people experience no change in their condition and others have found it makes them feel downright sick.

• Kayla
    Kayla Member Posts: 12
    Options

A bit concerned as I have been taking Naproxan since January till last week took Omapazole January and February but wasn't prescribed any March up to last week. Only ran out as doctor cancelled my appointment last minute. Looks like it was good I ran out as I wasn't prescribed Omapazole last time.

• lindamay
    Options

I haven't been offered any of these. Thank you

• lindamay
    Options