Elbow joint replacement

Options

Hi,

I have had Rheumatoid Arthritis and Osteoarthritis for many years and as a result have a knee replacement which is great and have 6monthly steriod injections in my ankle. I am now struggling with the pain in my elbow joint which I have had a few steriod injections into the joint which gives short term relief. However my orthopaedic consultant is not willing to inject the joint anymore as the only option now is a joint replacement.

My hobbies are fishing and gardening. As I am informed that the maximum weight I will be able to lift is a bag of sugar I would be unable to carry on with my hobbies.

Does anyone have experience of having had a elbow replacement and if so I would love to hear of the limitations to day to day living.

Thanks

Paul

Comments

• CarylW
    CarylW Member Posts: 274
    edited 10. Mar 2023, 15:41
    Options

Hello @Catch23

I hope that you may get replies from people with experience of elbow replacement, but in the meantime I hope this information may be helpful.

Keep in touch and let us know how you get on.

Best wishes

Caryl

Need more help? Call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• MontanaGal
    MontanaGal Member Posts: 3
    Options

Paul -

A fellow fisherman! Glad you posted this. I am a passionate fly fisherman and have had RA since I was in my early 20s. I’m 65 now. My elbows are my problem areas and I have investigated this thoroughly.

Yes, the weight limits on elbow replacements are extremely limiting and not very viable for someone who is somewhat active.

Have you contacted the ortho group at Mayo Clinic yet. I have and it is my understanding they do a reconstruction surgery there and they are the only ones in the country that do it. They use a cadaver’s Achilles tendon to mimic cartilage in the resurfaced joint. Supposedly if you are a candidate, it could reduce your pain and buy you about 10 years before you have to do an elbow replacement. Maybe the technology would improve in that time.

My current ortho said he wouldn’t do the elbow replacement for me as he (and not many orthos) do very many of them. He’s the one that referred me to Mayo since they do more volume of them.

Tight lines my friend! What do you love fishing for? I love trout, steelhead, walleye, grayling, and burbot fishing.

Be well! I hope this info helps. I may be at Mayo this year or next getting the reconstruction surgery.

• MontanaGal
    MontanaGal Member Posts: 3
    Options

PS I has my shoulder replaced two years ago.

• noddingtonpete
    noddingtonpete Moderator Posts: 1,015
    Options

Hello @MontanaGal and welcome to the community. Doing a quick internet search shows quite a few options (UK) and not just the Mayo Clinic - were you referred to them for a specific reason?

Anyway I hope that you are still able to enjoy your fishing - it is good that we can keep doing what we like to do. And I hope that your elbow replacement goes well for you. You might find the following of interest.

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/conditions/osteoarthritis-oa-of-the-elbow-and-shoulder/

Please keep posting and let us know how you are getting on - maybe you should start a fishing discussion in our Sports and Hobbies category.

Best wishes

Peter

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm