Ongoing Tests - CRP Levels

Options

Hi all,

Just a quick question. I am currently undergoing a variety of tests for joint pain, fatigue, etc. These include blood tests, X-rays and an MRI scan on my lumbar spine. I have near constant pain which seemed to begin in my right knee and which has now spread, affecting my fingers, hands, wrists, elbows, shoulders, knees, etc etc.

I have had preliminary blood results and they are showing a CRP level of 10.4. I have been Googling (inadvisable, I know!) but am finding mixed views on whether or not this is something to be concerned about. I would like to think that if this is indicative of RA or OA or anything else, that it has been caught quite early.

I would appreciate any advice on what this means and what to expect.

Thank you.

Comments

• jamieA
    jamieA Member Posts: 715
    Options

Hi @QuieroQueso

I'm no medic so can only tell you what I've been told in the last two and a half years since being diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis. Funnily enough your second sentence I could have written at the time - though replacing right knee with left in my case. Initially my left knee swelled, then my hands couldn't close, then my shoulders couldn't move, right hip, both knees then right foot.

I was told that the normal level for CRP is between 2-3 but I've never understood what scale is used. CRP tests give an indication of inflammation and/or infection levels. I think the rheumatology medics request other blood tests - ESR, RF, anti CCP etc - to get a more complete picture. Unfortunately I contracted pneumonia 3 weeks after my PsA diagnosis and my CRP level peaked at 340 - I assume a combination of inflammation and infection. When my blood was tested after my pneumonia had been resolved my CRP levels were between 40-60 - I assume due to the PsA at the time. Now that I'm on a biologic drug it's down at 1.

You don't say if you are experiencing lower back issues. I was given an MRI scan of my lower back in June 2021 even though it wasn't sore at the time and when I asked why I was told that the state of your sacroilliac joints is an indicator for PsA and Ankylosing Spondylitis. My lower right back aches regularly now and the rheumatologist I saw a couple of weeks ago said it was because of my right sacroilliac joint damage.

I hope you get a definitive diagnosis and treatment soon.

• CarylW
    CarylW Member Posts: 274
    Options

Hi @QuerioQueso

I wonder if this information may be helpful?

Do keep in touch.

Best wishes

Caryl

Need more help? Call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm