MBST cell regeneration

Options

Hello I have osteoarthritis of the hip which I have managed for a number of years. It, of course, does impact on my life to some degree but I can still walk about 5 miles and since diagnosis have travelled a lot of the globe. However, I think there has been some deterioration in the last year or so. I walk with a limp and there is some pain although I manage with paracetamol but don't need to take it every day. I am very keen to avoid surgery and someone at one of my exercise classes is going to try MBST cell regeneration treatment. It uses a similar technology to MRI and has been adapted from this (I don't understand how it works but I don't know how MRI works either!). It has been used quite a bit in Germany with a good success rate and is now available in this country. Luckily there is a place very near me where I could undergo the treatment (if I am considered suitable). It does cost money so I need to think about it and find out a bit more before I decide. Has anyone had this treatment or know anyone that has had the treatment? Any information would be useful. Thanks.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options

Based on this, I wouldn't but see what you think.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • distantshores
    Options

Stickywicket. I have looked at this and it seems generally positive although the samples were small. Why wouldn't you have it done? Of course it may not be helpful but I will look into it as anything is better than surgery as far as I am concerned.

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options

For me all the things listed in the final sentence of the 'implications for practice' would put me off. Statistically, do these very small samples have significance? I don't know. I'd also want to know how badly affected the people taking part were. There are lots of things that will help in the early stages but oncè things are very bad, it's different.

Mind you, I don't share your aversion to surgery. I've had both hips and knees replaced very successfully.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • airwave
    airwave Member Posts: 579
    Options

If it was a better treatment and cost effective I’m sure the NHS would offer it, or would they be dividing their effort? Ask your GP for advice, that’s what they’re there for.

pits a grin, honest!