Recently diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis and I'm under 30 years old

Options
RuthK94
RuthK94 Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:10 in Living with arthritis

Hi everyone, I am Ruth and I have recently been diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis.

I am approaching 29 years old and have struggled with pain for around the last 10 years. My pain started in my feet with the initial diagnosis being plantar fasciitis which has been treated by physios, podiatrists and orthopedic doctors.

Around 3 years ago I was referred to rheumatology after my optician discovered I had a flare up of episcleritis and said it could be linked to other auto immune diseases. Rheumatology at first weren't convinced I had any issues as my bloods came back looking relatively ok with only slightly increased levels of inflammation. I was sent away and told I would be seen again in 6 months time. I wasn't seen again for whatever reason until the start of last month when I was offered a last minute appointment due to a couple of cancellations. Oh boy am I glad I went.

My consultant is great, she took the time to listen to me and check me over head to toe. She diagnosed me with psoriatic arthritis but without the added complication of skin psoriasis. I have started on a course of DMARDs and am due an MRI at the end of this week to determine if I have spinal involvement also. If I do she already has a plan of action to treat me.

I have joined the community today because I want to hear about other peoples experiences and look for any hints and tips of things that can help me as I learn to navigate life now I have this diagnosis.

Thanks for reading.

Ruth

Comments

• Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,633
    Options

Hi @RuthK94 Welcome to the Online Community.

I see you have a recent diagnosis of Psoriatic Arthritis (PsA) after a long wait for a diagnosis. I'm so glad to hear you have a good Rheumatologist who has already started you on a DMARD.

This is an excellent place to come for support we have quite a few members here who have the same type of Arthritis as you. Ask anything and our members will do their best to help if they can.

I am going to attach a couple of links which you might find helpful with your new diagnosis I like this one because it has some personal stories:

This page has been especially designed for people newly diagnosed like yourself:

Now that you have joined do pleased take a look around the forum and join in wherever you feel comfortable or just read the threads. The Community is here for everyone who has Arthritis however they wish to use it.

Best wishes

Ellen.

• Zibbydoo
    Zibbydoo Member Posts: 7
    Options

Welcome!

I was diagnosed recently with PsA at 34. 6 weeks into taking Methotrexate, it's early days fingers crossed that it will work for me.

There's a 'Too young for Arthritis' community that catches up on zoom that are very supportive - you can sign up on Eventbrite https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/too-young-for-arthritis-tickets-514861704217?keep_tld=1

• Nfk_gal0617
    Nfk_gal0617 Member Posts: 39
    Options

Hi Ruth, good to hear you are on treatment and being monitored after being in no-mans-land. Now you have joined hopefully you will get other support and not feel on your own.

I wish you all the best.