Seronegative Inflammatory Arthritis

Options

Hi

I am looking for your experiences only please

I have been offered Sulfasalazine but have found out that aspirin can affect my asthma or has in the past but also I have taken aspirin on the odd occasion so not allergic to it. My consultant is happy for me to try me on Sulfasalazine but also will prescribe me Methotrexate so I have a big discussion to make. Here’s my thoughts

I am fearful of starting Methotrexate and not having a go to drug if I get worse.

I am fearful of course of trying Sulfasalazine and having a reaction to it on long term use

Anyone with any kind of experience I would love to hear from you !

So you understand my heart tells me start on Sulfasalazine my head Methotrexate… only told you this so you dont think your words will make me deicide only help me finalise my choice

Comments

• jamieA
    jamieA Member Posts: 709
    edited 8. Mar 2023, 13:50
    Options

Hi @BJS

When I was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis I was started on sulfasalazine and then 3 months later methotrexate was added. Neither worked for me - though I've read that 80% of patients with inflammatory arthritis respond positively to 1st and 2nd line treatment. So 9 months after diagnosis a biosimilar of adalimumab was added and that has made a significant difference for the better.

• helpline_team
    Options

Hi@BJS

Thank you for posting on our on-line community, we are sorry to hear about the difficulties that you are going through with your treatment and trying to decide what to do for the best especially when you have to take into consideration other conditions you have.

When taking Methotrexate - You can usually carry on taking painkillers like paracetamol if needed, unless your doctor advises otherwise. From our information it is advised to avoid taking non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs like ibuprofen without speaking to your doctor.

If you are concerned about a reaction to Sulfasalazine then there are other disease-modifying anti-rheumatic drugs DMARD's that you could speak to your consultant about.

I hope that in the meantime someone will be able to share their experiences with you so that you can come to the right decision in the future.

Best wishes

Chris

Helpline Advisor

• helpline_team
    Options

Hi@BJS

Just to follow on from my last reply to your post the following link below may also help.

Best wishes

Chris

Helpline Advisor