Hello

Options
Kerenza68
Kerenza68 Member Posts: 15
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:10 in Living with arthritis

Hi there,

I'm 54 and have been having severe knee pain for 2 years. I have fibromyalgia so initially put it down to that. A year ago I hobbled to see my gp and he thought it was ligaments and offered to give a steroid injection into the joints. Omg it was like magic! I was like Tigger bouncing up and down, unfortunately it only lasted 3 months. I was then sent to see a physio who said it could be a touch of OA so she gave me some exercises and booked me in for x-rays. To be honest she made me feel like I was being a drama queen because I struggled to lift my leg onto a chair.

6 weeks later I went back to a suddenly very sympathetic physiotherapist. All parts of both knees have arthritis in them, basically I'm at the stage of needing new knees. Unfortunately due to other health issues, an operation isn't on the cards. I was already on sevadyne patches but now have oramorph as well plus capsican cream and have just started pregabilin. The past week has been hell, I don't know if it's the weather making it worse but I can't "work through the pain" just now. It's so frustrating because I don't look ill and it feels like people don't believe just how much it hurts. I have an amazing dr who is doing all he can to help but there's only so many medications he can offer. I was thinking about hydrotherapy but have no idea how to get in and out of the pool!

Anyway I promise I'm not usually on such a downer and I look forward to getting to know you all.

Comments

• Louisa77
    Louisa77 Administrator Posts: 252
    Options

Hi @Kerenza68

Don't apologise for sharing your struggles, we are all here to support you.

Such a shame the steroid injection didn't last longer, but maybe this is something you can have again I don't think they like to give more than 3 a year but unsure if there is any flex on this for specific cases.

It sounds like you are going through a really bad flare, I hope you can get some relief soon.

Here is some info on hydrotherapy, from what to expect and how to access it, I'm sure if you speak to your physio they will also answer any other questions you might have.

Keep us posted and please keep posting.

Wishing you all the best

Louisa77

Need more help? Call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• jonr
    jonr Member Posts: 398
    Options

Hi Karenza68,

I can thoroughly empathise with you as I have OA in both knees and suffer 24x7.

OK - so it sounds like you need or want to investigate pain management in more depth so you can get back to doing the basic things in life. You're already on a bunch of meds, I can recommend a TENS machine if you're not already using one and CBD (this is derived from Hemp) and available in capsule or spray form. Both are available from good pharmacists. I've recently moved onto co-codomol and this is making a difference for me as well. Some things I tried such as Glucosomine and Curcumin actually made the pain worse so if you do investigate supplements its probably going to be a bit hit and miss and if you notice the pain or heat and swelling increasing then cut whatever it is you're taking out. Lastly, I use a deep tissue massaging gun, these are available via Amazon and it's great for soothing sore and tight tendons and connecting tissue, particularly 1st and last thing when stiffness tends to set in.

Hope these are help and good luck!

jon

• Kerenza68
    Options

Hi Jon,

Thanks so much for the information. I feel like I'm being a drama queen but the past few days have been the worst, I've been in tears after literally a few feet of walking, in fact just getting up is a nightmare. Co-codomol doesn't suit me unfortunately which is a shame. Oddly enough I've seen the massage guns at half price £49.99 and wondered if they were any good. I'm definitely going to give it a try. I can get my steroid injections next month and they always help, I can't wait! Thanks again

Karen

• jonr
    jonr Member Posts: 398
    Options

Good for you Karen and you're no drama queen, no apology necessary!

The massager is great, particularly if you get a locked joint so a wise investment.

I've recently started experimenting with lotions and potions, all the ones I find work for me are well pricey though! FlexiSeq helps lubricate joints and Voltorol 12 hour gel plus 5Kind Hemp Cream help with pain relief.

Voltorol is really expensive BUT lloyds pharmacy sell another brand online which is cheaper and right now have 50% off in a sale - I ordered 10 tubes!

Please do check in and let the rest of us know how you're getting on.

Jon

• Kerenza68
    Options

Unfortunately because I'm on warfarin and also have asthma, my gp says not to use voltarol or ibuleve etc which is typical as ibuleve did help a bit before I was told not to use it. I recently bought a turmeric massage oil which I have to say does seem to loosen the knees quite a lot. It doesn't do much for the pain but every little helps. This is where I got it just in case you're interested https://www.purextracts.co.uk/collections/turmeric-massage-oils

I hope your pain is manageable today, thanks

Karen

• Kerenza68
    Options

Hi Louisa,

Thanks for the hydrotherapy information, it's definitely something I would do if I can. I don't drive so need to find somewhere in the evening or on a weekend. I'm in quite a small village so things aren't very accessible unfortunately. I'm having a ramp fitted in the next few months so I will be able to get out in my electric wheelchair. I've been reluctant to be seen in public using it because I don't look ill and I get very paranoid what people will think. I need to get over that mentality and just get out there!

I get my steroids injections next month, it's 3 a year maximum, my physio doesn't agree with them because they can cause problems in later life. Luckily my gp is happy to let me have the 3 a year, they really work well for me even if they only last 8-10 weeks, it still feels like heaven!

Thanks again :-)

Karen