Options
Baggy314
Baggy314 Member Posts: 3
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:10 in Living with arthritis

Comments

• Baggy314
    Baggy314 Member Posts: 3
    Options

Hi. New to the group. 58 Just about to start the treatment. A bit worried.

• Nfk_gal0617
    Nfk_gal0617 Member Posts: 39
    Options

Hi Baggy 314, In the same boat as yourself. Waiting to start treatment.

Hope you don't mind me asking, what drug are you do to start? After much weighing the pros and cons for a year (mostly for eye inflamation) but the addition of recent re-accurance of joint problems have forcused my mind to try Disease modifing antirheumatic drug, Sulfasalazine.

Lots of us out there, just need hints and tips to help us manage, and we will - as sadly we have no choice. Just need to live the best live we can. I'm finding it hard to accept the things I can no longer do but I've learnt to pace myself and hopeing this community can help with what has worked for them in a certain situation. Keep in touch and let us know how you get on, Ill do the same. Nfk gal

• Anna
    Anna Moderator Posts: 991
    Options

Hello @Baggy314 and welcome to the online community,

I understand that you’re just about to start treatment and you’re a bit worried. That’s quite understandable, but you’ve come to the right place to hear how others are getting on and to know that you’re not alone. Perhaps you and @Nfk_gal0617 will find the link below useful - it talks about all the different types of treatments that you could have for arthritis. It would be interesting to know what sort of arthritis you have and what treatment you’re about to start:

Do let us know how you’re getting on,

Anna ( Moderator)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Nfk_gal0617
    Options

Thanks, Anna for the link.

Having gone to the V A drugs link I find no mention of HLA (supposingly in my case peripherial spondylitis and uveitis) in the Sulsalazine info on this site. Wondering why this is - have I missed something or is there just limited trials results to back this up dispite being prescribed by Rhuematogy dept for inflamatory athritis.

The leaflet with the drugs also make no mention of HLA, uveitis or seronegitve arthritis, only Rheumatoid.

Versus Arthritis view would be of interest., Many thanks, Nfk gal

• CarylW
    CarylW Member Posts: 274
    Options

Hello @Nfk_gal0617

I think that HLA is the gene they test for in AS. You may have seen these links already but if not they may help you:

I do hope that you will keep posting and let us know how you get on.

Best wishes

Caryl

Need more help? Call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Nfk_gal0617
    Options

Thank you for this, I did scan the V A in great detail when I first experienced joint problems a few years ago. Arthritis it is very dificult to research until you get a diagnosis, someimes a long way down the road.

A S I believe is now differetiated between radio (involving back and spine)and non-radio spondylitis.

Nfk Gal

• carol530
    carol530 Member Posts: 2
    Options

Hi I'm new to this group I have osteoarthritis I have it in my hands my sholders my knees I'm taking paracetamol and codine for the relief of pain and ibuprofen to rub in my joints I must say I'm not a fan of taking codine and limit myself on this drug only taking when I need it anyways I hope you all have a great Saturday and speak again soon bye for now Carol x

• noddingtonpete
    noddingtonpete Moderator Posts: 1,038
    Options

Hello @carol530 and welcome to the Community. We are a friendly and supportive group and I hope that will be your experience as well.

I understand that you have osteoarthritis in your hands shoulders and knees and taking paracetamol and codeine for pain relief. Have you tried Capsaicin cream? It is available on prescription and I have found it provides some relief (I suffer with OA in my hands).

Please keep posting and let us know how you are getting on and I am sure others will connect with you to share their support and experiences as well.

With best wishes

Peter (moderator)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm