Update

Options

Have a telephone consult tomorrow with Rheumatologist’s. It’s likely that I might have to try some stronger medication. The nurse spoke to me end of last week, and agreed that I had given the Sulphsalazine a good try, but it isn’t helping as much as they would expect by now.

Comments

• Wendy52
    Wendy52 Member Posts: 15
    Options

I hope that your call helped and that you are getting the support that you so need.

I wish I could wave a magic wand and everyone’s pain would go away but I can’t.

So frustrating. Take care!

• Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,633
    Options

Best of luck with today's telephone consultation @Woofy D let us know how you get on.

Ellen.

• Woofy
    Woofy Member Posts: 274
    Options

Hi All. Been having a rough time recently.

found out from recent bloods, that my body is not absorbing iron. Last week I had an endoscopy and colonoscopy at the hospital. I have been on antibiotics for the past week, because I have H pylori a nasty gut infection. They found that I have a stomach ulcer and Diverticulosis. I’m pretty low at the moment. Biopsy’s have been taken to test for celiac disease. Needing to wait for results. Meanwhile my joint pain is bad. So will be having follow up at hospital. Rheumatologist thinks I may have some other inflammatory problems going on. Really not sure how much more I can take. Feeling utterly defeated right now.

• Trish9556
    Trish9556 Member Posts: 530
    Options

Hi @Woofy

I am sorry you're going through a rough time.

I know how painful diverticulitis is as well. I've had it now for over ten years and manage to control it well with immodium instants these days and know the kind of things that can set it off.

I hope you can get yours under control quickly too but it's not nice. I found keeping a food diary helped recognise what makes it bad. red wine is my main cause so I only have that in moderation. Check your meds too. If you're on anti inflammatories check with your Dr as I was told not to take them at all.

Here if you need help any time

Love n hugs

Trish xx

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,453
    Options

Oh @Woofy

I am so sorry you are struggling so much ATM.

You know what's going on now though and should be able to deal with it (just need to find out whether you are coeliac of course) probably mostly by diet.

Sending you some ((())) hope you hear soon

Toni x

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options

@Woofy I genuinely think this could be a turning point for you. Here's why.

There is a known link between helicobacter pylori and RA. Maybe the former caused the latter and dealing with it will help a lot.

Also, I've had iron problems several times and, because of them, endoscopies and colonoscopies. They never showed anything that a short course of iron pills didn't solve - except the first endoscopy which showed ulcers that had healed and severe gastric erosion. That was caused by anti-inflammatories. My rheumatologist actually told me that both RA and DMARDS can cause iron levels to drop.

As for the diverticulosis - that can be sorted. I think @Trish9556 has something different to you. Here's what NHS says about diveticulosis (diverticular disease) and diverticulitis - https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/diverticular-disease-and-diverticulitis/ . @Trish9556 I'm sorry you have to be so careful with your diet but it sounds to me as if @Woofy simply has to get on top of the diverticulosis and then get back to normality. I was on a very similar diet after half my bowel was removed (nothing to do with RA. I just collect medical problems😉) but the process back to normal was quick and easy.

I hope you don't have coeliac but one of my sons does and, really, a gluten-free diet is not difficult. He has no symptoms whatsoever as long as he stays off gluten.

Good luck and keep talking. We're with you.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Woofy
    Options

Hi sticky. Very informative thank you. I went to the hospital Thursday, I have had some ultrasounds done on my on my hands and feet again, which have shown some significant changes. Rheumatologist has now decided this requires methotrexate. I have also been given low dose of steroids reducing over a couple of months to support me whilst I transition on to methotrexate fully. I was also scanned for giant cell arthritis, thankfully all clear. Bloods have been done again, hopefully if those come back ok, I will be given the go ahead to start methotrexate, along side the steroids which I am starting today.

she also found my results, and I don’t have Celiac thank goodness. It’s been a long painful time this past 18 months. Hopefully you are right, and I am about to turn a corner, and get some semblance of life back. It sounds like you have had a rocky road too. Thank you for the input, it is appreciated. X

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options

That all sounds good and I'm pleased. I hope the steroids help until the meth kicks in.

Rocky road? My body wouldn't know what to do with a smooth one😆

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Woofy
    Options

😀