Hello just joined, hoping you can help

Options
praline107
praline107 Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:10 in Living with arthritis

I have osteo in my thumbs, wrists and hips, I have recently started with pain in upper arms which wakes me at night and I'm finding it hard to raise arms to dress/undress. Spoke to GP on phone (unable to get face to face appointment) and he says I prob have osteo in my shoulders which is affecting my arms, I dont have pain in shoulders. Is this a thing? Feeling a bit sorry for myself as the pain varies so much from day to day, how do you all manage? I am 64 and feel that at some point I will be unable to do anything.

Comments

• SharminB
    SharminB Moderator Posts: 90
    Options

Hi @praline107,

Thank you and welcome to the Versus Arthritis forum.

Some people can have osteoarthritis without having pain. It will depend on what the joint looks like. So, the GP may refer you to get an x-ray or MRI scan to get a better look at the joint. They can also refer you to a physiotherapist to help with managing your osteoarthritis and symptoms which hopefully in turn can help with moving easier with less strain and pain.

You can read more here:

Do let us know how you get on and you might find the 'Living with arthritis' thread useful to post in.

Best wishes,

Sharmin - Mod 😊

Need more help - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,445
    Options

Morning @praline107

I think you might need to go back to your Dr and ask for some tests to confirm what is going on with your arms. It sounds as though you need to say that your shoulders do not hurt. Sometimes we have to be quite assertive with GPs they are so very busy these days. At 64 you are still very young so need to push a bit to get some answers as Sharmaine said you could at least get referred for physio. In some areas you can refer yourself.

I hope you'll decide to keep posting don't give up.

Take care

Toni x