Joint pain

Options
SmithB
SmithB Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:10 in Living with arthritis

At the moment I am new to all this issues I am haveing every joint is swollen and painful I can't work because of the pain looking for ideas to help me

Comments

• Nfk_gal0617
    Nfk_gal0617 Member Posts: 39
    Options

Hi SmithB, I'm sorry you have joined the club that nobody wants to join. I hope you have been able to get a GP appt and they have done the various blood tests to try and pin down your problem. Its a worry not being able to work. I've had to give up self-employment ( no financial help in the system for me) this year because of inflamation, but not far off retirement so just about managing. Hope J H will not allow our elec bills to increase today.

I find when I have a flare, if I sit about, which is tempting with aches and pains, things are worse. Bit of a vicious circle, but if you are able to move a bit it might help.

Hope you get some assistance soon, Nfk gal

• Lane
    Lane Member Posts: 113
    Options

Hi @SmithB welcome to our online community where you will meet members to share tips and advice.

I understand that you are looking for help and advice as in the last few months you started toes and feel alone. That you are new to your issues, as every joint is swollen and painful and you have shared how how you can no longer work. You are looking for ideas. 

Can you tell me more about your arthritis, then I am able to give you the information that you require? Whilst you wait to connect with our members, I have attached a couple of links from our website for you to have a look at, one about exercise and the other managing your pain:

I am so glad that you found us.  You have come to the right place to receive support.

Best wishes

• MarkInSussex
    Options

I have had to shut my business down due to RA as i simply cannot do the work any longer and it's a worry as i'm nowhere near retirement, but there are resources out there to help, i've been seeing the local Social Prescribers (i assume most district councils have them) and they have been brilliant in advising me about services that i can use, many of which id never even heard of, i was referred to my Prescribers by my GP, so that might be a place to start, its just a phone call away. Unfortunately i don't qualify for some benefits as im not old enough and others i'm not able to claim as i have savings over the maximum allowed by the govt, I do get a PIP which i would urge you to apply for, also PIP unlike other avenues of help is not means tested.

It sounds counterintuitive but exercise is the key to well being and pain management (although Codeine also helps me) and its all about making that difficult decision to move when things really hurt, today for instance im suffering a bit, i've had my Codeine, but knees, hips, shoulders, elbows and wrists are all playing up, my hands don't feel like they want to work, but having the mindset, and it can be difficult, to get your yourself moving really does make a difference, even if it's just a trip to the kitchen to make a drink, just that short walk helps and it puts your mind in a better place, likewise i've grabbed my pocket knife and done a bit of whittling, not easy, but as long as i'm careful it's ok, it gets the arms, hands etc working and when im doing that, my mind is at ease and i really don't think about anything else and if i cut myself, well it wouldn't be the first time and i heal quick having had so much practice ;-)

If you have any hobbies then now is the time to embrace them, or perhaps try something new, I did and ended up writing a book, id never written a book before but it was a total distraction from the aches and pains of everyday life, i'm now writing another, although at the moment i have to admit i've no enthusiasm for it as i'm back whittling for the moment.

Hope things get better for you and they will.