Hello

Options
Wolfie2468S
Wolfie2468S Member Posts: 10
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:10 in Living with arthritis

I am new to this. I was diagnosed with Osteoarthritis recently. At the moment I am trying to manage the pain especially when I go out for a daily walk. Today was harder than the other days I've walked this week. I'm sure I will get there eventually.

When I was diagnosed I couldn't think of a single question to ask but now I have loads. I can go back to the physiotherapist and I will do this. But I am slowly getting used to the fact that I have this.

It is in my knees, hips and the base of my spine. And I know this is going to sound totally stupid but I think of it creeping insidiously up my spine. I'm sure it won't. I think the shock was being told it was at the base of my spine as well.

Well I am not sure what I can write and what I can't so I shall leave it at this for now.

Thank you for taking the time to read it.

Comments

• Poppyjane
    Poppyjane Moderator Posts: 754
    Options

Hello @Wolfie2468S welcome to the online community

You have arthritis in your knees, hips and spine and when you were first diagnosed you could not think of any questions to ask. There is so much to take in during that appointment that it is not surprising that you could not but also not surprising that you have lots to ask now. I hope we will be able to help with some of your questions.

Your positive attitude to trying to exercise with a daily walk is going a long way in helping to adjust to living with arthritis. Some of our members say that taking some form of pain relief half an hour before exercising helps. I attach some links which I hope you will find useful.

Making a list of questions to take to your next appointment is really useful and it maybe if you get a chance to look at the "Living with Arthritis" section you will find some more! I hope some answers too! Now that you have found us I hope that you will stay in touch and post again soon to let us know how you are getting on.

Take care

Poppyjane

If it would be helpful to talk to someone ring the Helpline 0800 5200 520

Monday - Friday 9.00a.m. - 6.00p.m.

• Wolfie2468S
    Wolfie2468S Member Posts: 10
    Options

Thank you for your reply Poppyjane. I do appreciate it and and I have looked at the links and I will keep looking at them. I used to walk 4 miles three times a week and would like to get back to that. At the moment I am doing a walk that is easier for me and will try to go further when I am used to doing this. I know 4 miles three times a week isn't probably enough but I always feel that something is better than nothing.

Once again, thank you for your reply and for your suggestions.