just diagnosed OA in both A C joints

Beekeeper
Beekeeper Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:10 in Living with arthritis

Hello I am a new member this is my first post

Yesterday I was diagnosed with advanced osteoarthritis in Both AC joints which has made me very fearful for the future. In mid-january I was a fit healthy very active 79 year old with many interests hobbies beekeeping and gardening and plans for the future then I slipped on Ice landed on my left shoulder with no apparent injury but after a couple of weeks it began to hurt shortly followed by a similar pain in my right shoulder then both hips, now my every waking moment is occupied by thoughts of what the future holds for me

From Jeff ( the registration page would not allow me to use my name even with numbers)

Comments

• Poppyjane
    Poppyjane Moderator Posts: 739

Hello @Beekeeper welcome to the online community

You were diagnosed yesterday with OA after a fall on the ice in January. Since then you have felt pain in many of your joints and are concerned about what the future holds for you. We are a friendly group who offer peer support for anyone affected by living with arthritis and I hope that once you have adjusted to the initial shock of your diagnosis you will feel able to share your own comments and tips with us.

I attach some links which I hope you will find helpful

https://www.versusarthritis.org/news/2022/april/tips-for-gardening-with-arthritis/

We are all encouraged to exercise to keep our muscles and joints as flexible as possible. This is especially important if you are recommended to have surgery in the future. As a previously, active septuagenarian you will have a core level of fitness that once you have your pain levels under control will stand you in good stead to manage numbers of your former hobbies and activities - possibly at a slightly different pace.

It is early days in your journey with arthritis and we are here to support you, so do stay in touch and let us know how you are getting on.

Take care

Poppyjane

If it would be helpful to talk to someone ring the Helpline 0800 5200 520

Monday - Friday 9.00a.m. - 6.00p.m.