Day of Discharge

Hi Everyone,

Getting a bit panicky at the prospect of being home, quite often alone, and if I will cope, fall etc.

I've done more walking with the crutches and a ser og my exercises. Pain not too bad. It's just that sinking feeling in my stomach.

Sheelee xx

Comments

• Trish9556
    Trish9556 Member Posts: 488

Hi @Sheelee

That's a natural feeling, I'm sure the physios won't let you be discharged until you are feeling confident but if you have a small cross body bag that you can just put your mobile phone in and keep on all the time that alone will give you a sense of reassurance that if you do fall, you can call someone for help.

Love n hugs

Trish xx

• Sheelee
    Sheelee Member Posts: 153

Dear Trish,

Thank you for replying to my message at such an ungodly hour.

I have been let down by the carers and also a so called friend. I'm sitting eating a banana sandwich. I am so hungry.

I'm wondering whether to contact the ward later. There is a really nice nurse who will be starting at 7.30am. I just don't think I can fight this battle alone, and didn't think I would.

Really feeling quite lost and alone, Trish.

Sheelee xx

• Trish9556
    Trish9556 Member Posts: 488

Oh @Sheelee

I'm so upset and cross to read how you've been let down.

Ring the ward and speak to them, they might have some advice

Ring the helpline for here, they might have some local contacts

Ring your local red cross and see if they can help

Bananas are good for you but you need more. What did you get in for your breakfasts? Microwave porridge is easy to do.

We can do this xxxxx

• Sheelee I am very sorry to hear about your problems after discharge. This just highlights the need for the reintroduction of rehab units especially for those who live alone. When my mother had her first hip replacement just over 30 years ago she was transferred to a rehab unit in the hospital for about 2/3 weeks before being sent out. The only thing available now is for someone to pay to go into a residential home at great expense which is what I am concluding I would have to do if/when I get to the point of replacement (which will probably happen despite my best efforts to avoid it!). I hope you find someone to come to help you. Are they sending anyone round to change the dressings or do you have to somehow get yourself to the surgery?

• Sheelee
    Sheelee Member Posts: 153

Hi distantshores,

I asked about dressings. These new dressings are design to last the 2 weeks until I have the clips out. They have given me a spare dressing in case eg the adhesive works out, but it's not anticipated it will need any attention.

Sorry about the delay. I keep dropping off to sleep!!

The one thing I have to say, distantshores, is this morning I so much did not want to end up back in hospital 😫. It wasn't that hospital was an unpleasant experience. Anything but. But it just seems to have been such an enormous mountain to climb to get back home, I really wanted to make something of this discharge. Whilst also feeling a tinge of a wish to be back in hospital with people around to help me. I think the lure of the safe comfort could have become quite intoxicating. And there is always going to be that moment when you are going to be left alone.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't want anyone to have to put up with what I did last night and this morning until about 9am when I was told a care package was being put in place. But I feel almost as though I've faced the worse of it by getting back home and having to face how difficult it is going to be if that makes sense.

Sheelee xx