Hi there - problems with arthritic big toe
I thought I'd drop in to say "hi" and also to tell you about a problem I'm having and whether you could give me some advice.
Both my mother and grandmother suffered with osteoarthritis and I've inherited it too. I'm now 59 years old and I can't remember a time that I wasn't in some discomfort in my feet, but a few weeks ago it reached a bit of a climax: I stubbed my right big toe on a free weight that was left on the floor, but despite not going red or getting swollen I noticed that I had some awful symptoms which started firstly with "fluttering" sensations in the big toe joint and then crippling burning pain on any weight bearing on that foot after spending the day walking in the office and in the evening to get to a restaurant. It wasn't very far but it was far enough to notice the terrible pain.
It is intermittent at the moment - maybe once every week or so I get an attack but I sought the advice of an orthopaedic surgeon (after my GP ruled out a break/fracture or gout) who suggested I get a steroid injection in that joint. Weight-bearing X Rays show severe arthritic degeneration in the 1st MTJ (metatarsal joint) . If that doesn't give relief he's suggesting a big toe-fusion op.
So I have 3 questions:
- Has anyone had the steroid injection in the big to joint and if so, did it alleviate your symptoms? Was it very painful and did you get a flare up afterwards
- Meanwhile has anyone had the toe -fusion operation and what was that like? Did you get a good outcome? How has the fused joint made a difference to the way you walk and what footwear (women especially) you can wear?
- Has anyone had anything other than the fusion op, like the implant or injectables into the joint?
Any insights would be most appreciated. Thank you all in advance. I'm finding this all a bit overwhelming and upsetting if I'm honest as I don't have any family who can help support me through this. 😪
- All Categories
- 2.3K Welcome
- 17 How to use your online community
- 30 Help, Guidelines and Get in Touch
- 40.4K Our Community
- 670 Chat to our Helpline Team
- 8.7K Living with arthritis
- 2 Want to Get Involved?
- 53 Hints and Tips
- 221 Work and financial support
- 390 Young people's community
- 7 Parents of Children with Arthritis
- 40 My Triumphs
- 132 Let's Move
- 24 Sports and Hobbies
- 13 Food and Diet
- 256 Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- 16 Community Feedback and ideas
- 333 Chat and News
- 29 Val's Cafe
- 269 Chit chat
- 11 News
- 4 Tails From The Cafe