Should I still exercise now I am on medication?

Options
Ariana
Ariana Member Posts: 29

I have rheumatoid arthritis and I have been prescribed prednisolone for 5 weeks which has eased my stiffness. I almost feel back to normal, whatever that is! Before seeing my rheumatologist I had been exercising regularly following the excellent exercise videos on the Versus site. I told my rheumatologist I had been exercising and he told me to stop exercising because it could aggravate my condition. I would like to know what are other people’s experiences?

Comments

• Tom
    Tom Member Posts: 522
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @ariana. I understand that you have rheumatoid arthritis, treated for the past five weeks with prednisolone. The treatment has relieved your symptoms. When you asked about continuing exercise, you were advised to stop by your rheumatologist as it could aggravate your condition.

Here are links to information on RA, on exercise.

I am sure that forum members will have comments on the advice you have been given. You may also care to talk to our helpline on 0800 5200 520.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Tom,

Moderator.

• CCM
    CCM Member Posts: 113
    Options

Hi, @Ariana I have to say that that is unusual advice you have been given. I have always believed that strutured and supervised exercise was an important part of managing the condition and your life with RA.

See if your GP can get you a physio referal,

CCM

• jamieA
    jamieA Member Posts: 711
    edited 23. Mar 2023, 13:07
    Options

Hi @Ariana

I'd agree with @CCM that seems to be a strange statement from your consultant. I've had two 12 week rheumatology physio programmes in the last two years as well as being on the Nuffield Join Pain programme at present. These courses are aimed at performing exercises to help mobility. All the courses stressed the need to exercise in particular to strengthen the muscles around the affected joints. I actually had a rheumatology physio appointment earlier this week where the physio again stressed the need to keep exercising. I could understand if your exercise regime was high impact but I assume the VA ones you've been doing won't be.

• JenHB
    JenHB Member Posts: 133
    Options

That's very odd! At my first appointment with the consultant in October 2021 I stated that I was a keen runner (before my knees became very swollen) and wanted to get back to being able to exercise. Her response was very much that their aim is to get the RA under control so I can get back to doing what I love. I'm currently run/walking 5km twice a week.

• MarkInSussex
    Options

I have RA and started taking Prednisolone last August and am still on it, albeit one tablet a day as a maintenance dose, i also had physio both in hospital and at home, my physios worked out an exercise regime for me to follow at home to keep things moving, worst thing you can do is stop moving, although some days are easier than others in that respect.

• Baloo
    Baloo Member Posts: 398
    Options

I find like I did with migraines, that a routine is important. As soon as I went for new exercise my aches and pains started to kick off in all sorts of directions.