PsA new diagnosis

RachGrats
RachGrats Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:10 in Living with arthritis

Hey everyone! I’ve just this week been diagnosed with Psoriatic Arthritis. I’ve been suffering with a swollen ankle since December 22 and Drs had told me over and over it’s just a sprain. 4 months later im still off work, unable to walk with x2 swollen ankles and now also a swollen finger on my right hand. Finally I was referred to a rheumatologist and they confirmed it was not a sprain and in fact arthritis. Big shock and very overwhelming to take in. I was given a cortisone shot so hoping that will help me back onto my feet. I have a 20 month little boy so it’s been so tough not being able to lift him or look after him properly. I’m very lucky to have a good/caring network of family & friends around me. Very grateful for them. Now I’m trying to read up what I can on PsA and also Methotrexate as I’m guessing this will be my medication after my next appointment in 6 weeks.

Look forward to reading your stories, tips and just chit chat.

Rachel :)

Comments

• Tom
    Tom Member Posts: 522

Welcome to the forum, @RachGrats . I see that you have just been given a diagnosis of Psoriatic Arthritis following misdiagnosis of a sprained ankle. You have a 20month boy to care for. On the positive side you have a good support network of friends and family are now getting the right treatment.

Here are links to our website that I hope you find helpful.

Good luck with your next appointment – post again to let us know how you get on.

Tom,

Moderator.

• GregJ
    GregJ Member Posts: 8

Hi @RachGrats

I was diagnosed with PsA in 2014. My fingers had become “sausage” like and I could barely use my hands. My feet became extremely painful and walking was difficult. X-rays did show joint damage in my hands and feet so I was put onto methotrexate @ 25mg per week. Later, daily sulfasalazine was added to boost the effect of the MTX. I was prescribed folic acid alongside these and had regular blood tests weekly, then monthly then 3 monthly.

They will monitor you very closely when you start new drugs so you will be in safe hands.

MTX and Sfz. work very well for many people but for me they did not have much effect. If 2 DMARDS fail then you can be moved in to a biological injection, something like Enbrel or Humira. I was given Enbrel and it changed my life in a matter of weeks. Hopefully MTX will do the same for you and you won’t need to go through the same longer process.

I mentioned on another post that my rheumatology nurse is excellent and very reassuring, her words were “well if it doesn’t work we have a cupboard full of goodies to try, there’s always a plan B” 😊

Everybody is different but you will find a medication that works for you.

Having a supportive circle of family and friends, coupled with a good care team, will stand you in good stead to take your PsA head on.

Good luck and I hope very soon, good health

Greg.