Newly diagnosed psoriatic arthritis

Options
Cathykins
Cathykins Member Posts: 7
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:10 in Living with arthritis

Hi everyone, what a great site! Lots of information, advice,and personal stories.

I was diagnosed with psa last year and was put on hydroxychloroquine, which sadly I was allergic to, so had to stop after 3 weeks. Shame, as my pain had all but disappeared. Just waiting for my next rheumatology appointment where they are likely to suggest methotrexate.

I have a question with regard to the whole immune system subject. I am usually pretty healthy and don't often get colds etc, and obviously the methotrexate will lower my resistance to illness. I currently take vitamin D and K2 which boost the immune system, so if I carry on taking it, will it work against the DMARDs? Or is it best to continue?

I would be grateful for any advice

Thanks guys

Comments

• Poppyjane
    Poppyjane Moderator Posts: 758
    Options

Hi @Cathykins

It is trial and error about which drugs suit us and hydroxychloroquine was obviously not the one for you. Hopefully Methotrexate will suit you better, a lot of members take it successfully.

Your Rheumatologist is the best person to advise about the interaction between DMARDS and supplements.

I attach a link to MTX

Best wishes

Poppyjane (Moderator)

If it would be helpful to talk to someone ring the Helpline 0800 5200 520

Monday - Friday 9.00a.m. - 6.00p.m.

• jamieA
    jamieA Member Posts: 711
    Options

Hi @Cathykins

I've also got PsA and over the last two and a half years since being diagnosed I've been put on B9, B12 and D3 suppliments by medics whilst on MTX. I think I'm right in saying you will be put on B9 - folic acid - whilst on MTX anyway. Since you'll get regular blood tests - mine are every 3 months now - the medics should pick up any issues. If you are taking any non-steroidal anti inflammatories(NSAID) you may also be on a proton pump inhibitor like omeprazole and that can cause vitamine deficiency as it can block the absorption of vitamins through the stomach wall.

• Cathykins
    Options

Hi JamieA

Thanks for the info. This is all new to me, so I'm trying to get an understanding of the different treatments, and what effect they have on the body. Obviously I will discuss it with my rheumatologist, but it's good to hear from those with experience, like yourself!

Have a great day

• Cathykins
    Options

Poppyjane thank you for the information. Have a great day

• GregJ
    GregJ Member Posts: 8
    Options

Hi @Cathykins

I was diagnosed with PsA back in 2014. I was originally put on methotrexate, 25mg per week and later sulfasalazine was added (10mg per day).

Whilst on these I did also have to take folic acid. I was allowed to take other vitamin supplements like iron and D but I always ran these past my rheumatology team before starting anything new. It’s always best to tell your care team exactly what you are taking or intending to take. Just to be on the safe side.

My blood tests were weekly, monthly then 3 monthly so they will keep a very close eye on you whilst you start taking the new drugs.

One alcoholic drink a week was allowed, 4 units I think they said to me, but I have to say it was the best tasting pint of beer I ever had 😊, I used to just sip it slowly on a Saturday night, to savour the flavour.

MTX helps an enormous amount of people with PsA. Unfortunately neither the MTX or Sfz helped me and I still struggled for some time. As I had then failed to respond to two DMARD’s I was put in a weekly biological injection, Enbrel. It changed my life within a matter of weeks. I had to go back to more regular blood tests to start with but these soon dropped down to the usual 3 months.

I hope the MTX brings you some relief but if it doesn’t, as my brilliant rheumatology nurse always says … “we’ve got a cupboard full of goodies so there’s always a plan B.” 😊

Good luck and take care

Greg.

• Cathykins
    Options

Hi Greg

Thank you so much for your post. I am glad you have found what suits you, and that is giving you relief. It just goes to show that we are all different. Your nurse sounds wonderful - just the sort of positivity you need!

Have a wonderful day

Cathy