Polymyalgia

Options
MAC
MAC Member Posts: 3
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:10 in Living with arthritis

Hello. Just been diagnosed with Polymyalgia after weeks of pain and stiffness. Went from a fit and active 57 yr old to someone who can hardly shower or dress myself in just a couple of weeks. It’s been a scary time. Welcome any advice on managing the pain of Polymyalgia.

thank you

Comments

• Poppyjane
    Poppyjane Moderator Posts: 754
    Options

Hello @MAC welcome to the online community,

You have just been diagnosed with Polymyalgia and have experienced a dramatic and scary change in your physical condition. You are one step nearer to regaining some balance in your life, now you have a diagnosis. The next step could be towards managing the pain and I attach links with information about both polymyalgia and pain management.

If you feel it would be helpful to talk with someone these are our Helpline details

We are a friendly and supportive group and our members are more than willing to share their experiences of life with arthritis and their tips on how to cope when at times life is scary. Do let us know how you are getting on.

Take care

Poppyjane

If it would be helpful to talk to someone ring the Helpline 0800 5200 520

Monday - Friday 9.00a.m. - 6.00p.m.

• erica3105
    erica3105 Member Posts: 10
    Options

Hello Mac, I think I have PMR although my consultant currently thinks I have inflammatory arthritis. Like you I was fit and active, I’m 64, but very quickly I had difficulty, dressing, toileting myself, washing my hair as I couldn’t put my arms above my head - incredibly painful and scary as you say. I was put on Prednisolone 20 mg initially then increased to 40 as my CRP was 100! Now been given Methatrexate and tapering off steroids 5 mg weekly but pain is returning. So my advice to you would be, with your Doctors advice, stay on steroids. Get the right dose and stay on them a while before they taper you off them and even then, come off them very slowly.

I hope that your symptoms have improved as I see your post was in. March. All the best!

• MAC
    MAC Member Posts: 3
    Options

Have been tapering steroids from 20mg and now down to 2.5mg but pain and stiffness has returned with a vengeance. Good to know consultant might increase again. Didn’t know that was an option.

Return of pain coincided with my getting a nasty cold and wonder if it is a factor.

• Jase
    Jase Member Posts: 7
    Options

Does anyone think the fast onset of polymyalgia happened shortly after their vaccine, there's a strong link with many others that were fine one month, then stricken with pains one morning, like it was just switched on overnight

• Markandevie
    Options

I have recently been diagnosed with PMR and I too am a 57 year old very fit and active male whose life has turned upside down. I have got my steroids down from the initial 40mg to now 12mg but whatever the dose I always have stiffness sin shoulders, hands and groin for the first few hours in the morning. I have to say I do not have the crippling pain I once had where it debilitates every area of my life from showering, drying myself to putting on my socks do thank ful of that at least. Are the symptoms meant to disappear when on steroids or are they meant to just help the symptoms as some say yes and others say no. What is your experiences? Just to note, I have been offered methotrexate but really do not want even more poison in my body and would rather put up with uncomfortable mornings.

Nice to meet you all