Polymyalgia

Options
Cat001
Cat001 Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:10 in Living with arthritis

Hi all, recently diagnosed with Polymyalgia and GCA was put on steroids 3 weeks ago which knocked the pain out instantly however I have now been prescribed Alendronic acid to take once weekly . I have tried to take them twice now and body says ‘oh no, get out’ and I throw it back up within 5 to 10 minutes. Has anyone else experienced this? I am persevering with the steroids and have spoken to my doctor who advised I stop taking my diabetic medication for a while but am just concerned about not taking the Alendronic Acid.

many thanks

Comments

• noddingtonpete
    noddingtonpete Moderator Posts: 1,022
    Options

Hello @Cat001 and welcome to the Community. We are a friendly and supportive group and I hope that you will experience that as well.

I understand that you have been diagnosed with Polymyalgia and are having trouble taking Alendronic acid. It is good that you are in contact with your Doctor as they can advise you and keep an eye on things. In the meantime have a look through the following that might be of interest.

and

Please keep posting and let us know how you are getting on and I am sure that others will connect with you to share their support and experiences as well.

With best wishes

Peter (moderator)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,462
    Options

Oh dear @Cat001

I can't help much here, but do know a tiny bit about alendronic acid. That you need it if you are going to take steroids long term which you often have to with PMR

I also know it's one you ahve to sit up after taking it. Is it a liquid or a tablet I wonder. If it's a liquid maybe sipping it over a longer period of time might help?

If it's a tablet I don't know what to suggest other than a chat with your medical team for advice.

Steroids can have nasty effects on your bones so I hope they do come up with a solution for you ((()))

Take care

Toni x

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options

It's no fun, is it, when one med begets another? I think you do really have to take the alendronic acid as high dose steroids, taken for some time, do damage bones. My daughter-in-law had PMR and she was on steroids for, I think, over two years. My sister also had GCA and she, too, had to do the alendronic acid. One or the other gave her a fungal infection in her throat that nothing would shift but she stuck it out and is now back to normal again.

A friend has to take it for other reasons. She carefully chose a day when she'd be able to sit still for half an hour after taking it. It's very important to take it but equally important to sit or stand for the full half hour afterwards to enable it to stay put. as it can do damage to your oesophagus if a bit/drop leaks back up.

I hope you and your doc can sort something out. Good luck.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright