MTX & Hydroxychloroquine

Options

Hi!

been struggling since diagnosis a year ago, nothing seems to be working. It was first in my finger but swigging moved to my wrist, knees, feet, ankles, hip, elbow and shoulder. I’ve tried methotrexate in all doses and forms and currently on 25mg injectable with hydroxy. I don’t feel like it’s working and feel so down that the gold standard treatments are just not working. I’m in so much pain and get swelling if I’ve had a heavy day but not the redness. My nurses have spoke to me about keeping in mind biological treatments but for the past year have almost said that they are more aggressive and more side effects.

currently suffering side effects from my methotrexate and much hair has thinned and snapped all around the front of my hair. Also getting nausea every day, loss of appetite and generally feeling like crap. Just looking for some friendly tips, possibly some experiences etc.

im 34, a hairdresser and a mum to 3 small active boys. I’d love to be able to stop using the phrase “mummy cant, she’s hurting today”

Comments

• noddingtonpete
    noddingtonpete Moderator Posts: 1,038
    Options

Hello @Hairdresserwithra and welcome to the Community. We are a friendly and supportive group and I hope that will be your experience as well.

I understand that you have RA and have been prescribed Methotrexate. I hope it or something else begins to work soon. In the meantime I have put a couple of links in below from our website and I hope that they are of some use.

and

Please keep posting and let us know how you are getting on, and I hope that others will connect with you to share their support and experiences as well.

With very best wishes

Peter (moderator)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• jamieA
    jamieA Member Posts: 723
    Options

Hi @Hairdresserwithra

I know everyone is different so I can only relate to my situation.

When I was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis in Oct 2020 I was put on sulfasalazine - it didn't work. Three months later MTX was added and it didn't work either - even when ramped up to 20mgs. Nine months on from diagnosis the adalimumab biosimilar Amgevita was added. Two months afterwards I handed back my elbow crutches. Almost 2 years on I'm now able to walk (albeit with a limp) 50-60kms a week with my dog. I'm in no way cured - joints still ache and hurt at times - but I'm significantly more functional. I've also virtually given up on taking painkillers - at one point during the worst times I was on morphine. I still do use capsaicin cream and lidocaine patches when required.

I was asked by my rheumatologist last year what percentage recovery I'd had from my worst days and I responded by saying 80-90%. Admittedly that was from a low bar - at worst I couldn't butter my toast, lift a coffee cup or get out of bed without assistance.

I'm aware that the biosimilar leaves me immunocompromised and I take precautions on that - I don't go in crowded spaces, I wear a mask where necessary, carry hand gel etc. I haven't had any side effects to my knowledge.

So for me the biologic has certainly worked and I'd honestly recommend it based on my experience.

I hope you get a treatment that works for you soon.