Pain

Options
Ihavepain
Ihavepain Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:10 in Living with arthritis

Hello, I am nearly 69, I have had osteoarthritis from the age 24.

I live with the pain every day. Unfortunately I have had an ulcer and not able to go onto

some medication like ibuprofen.

there is so much I can say but I’m sure there are many of you with more severe symptoms than myself.

I have had mri scans and the wording from the doctor is I have severe osteoarthritis.

the physiotherapist has given me exercises to do.

I would like to know if exercise has helped any one on this community?

kind regards Alice

Comments

• Anna
    Anna Moderator Posts: 991
    Options

Hello @Ihavepain and welcome to the online community,

I understand you have lived with osteoarthritis for many years and it causes you pain every day. You’ve been given some exercises from your physiotherapist it’s you’re wondering if exercise has helped anyone in the community. I can say with certainty that exercise has helped many of our members, and I’m sure that several of our friendly community can tell you about the difference that it has made in their lives, not just with their physical health, but also improving emotional health as well. In this thread, several members talk about the benefits of exercise, as well as other suggestions for dealing with pain: https://community.versusarthritis.org/discussion/comment/706224#Comment_706224

The Versus Arthritis website has some information about the benefits of exercise too. Little and gentle and often is the way forward:

Do let us know how you’re getting on.

Anna ( Moderator)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• jonr
    jonr Member Posts: 400
    Options

Hi Alice and welcome.

As Anna wrote, many community members have found physio to be helpful in managing their condition, obviously everyone's Arthritis is personal to them so what works for them may not work for you.

It would be useful to know where you have your OA as it will help with any more specific comments, that's if you don't mind of course!

As I expect your physio would have told you, the aim of the exercises is to keep the affected joints supple and strengthen the surrounding muscle and tissue, that's what I was told by my physio last May following diagnosis at the age of 55. At first I found it very hard - it hurt, was uncomfortable and I was nervous about falling over (I have OA in both knees), so I bought some good knee supports to aid mobility and increase my confidence. Next was to experiment with anti-inflammatories and painkillers so it didn't hurt so much during and afterwards. If you can't take medicinal AI's then perhaps investigate natural alternatives such as Bromelain and Turmeric and for pain management there's TENS machines, Acupuncture, Co-Codemol, gels and creams and natural products like CBD - lots about these on the website to read up on at your leisure. Even diet plays a part here with Omega 3 rich foods being particularly important and knowing what to avoid as well.

Nearly a year on and facing a double knee replacement my condition is a lot more manageable and predictable, I am able to go to the gym, cycle and last weekend I even climbed a mountain. And to think this time last year I could barely walk down the stairs in the morning so yes - physio and exercise in general should definitely help you but it will take time and commitment.

All the best,

Jon

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options

I think exercise helps all of us. I've no idea where I'd be without it but, frankly, I don't want to know😆 Exercise keeps our muscles strong and strong muscles support arthritic joints so they hurt less.

Do you see your physio again or are you just to do them now? If so, build up gradually. You'll find you can. Good luck!

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Fran54
    Fran54 Member Posts: 199
    Options

Hi Alice

as other people have said on here exercise does help. After being diagnosed with osteoarthritis in my right knee I was given physio exercises to do. I have been doing them now on a regular basis for about 16 months and my knee is a lot stronger ( when walking it was always giving way on me ). It does take time for the exercises to be of benefit and some days it is harder to do than others. There are some helpful exercises on this website and you are always advised to start of slowly and pace yourself. I hope that they will be of benefit to you. Let us know how you get on. Take care.🙂