Seronegative Arthritis

Options

Good afternoon,

I have been diagnosed with Seronegative Rheumatoid Arthritis after developing swollen and painful ankles, stiffness in my back and painful wrists and finger joints resulting in a loss of grip and carpal tunnel (needing surgery) symptoms. I'm 43 and lead an active life style. I'm yet to get my treatment plan from my consultant which should be at the end of April/beginning of May when I see him next. I wondered what success people have with changes in diet ( I read a Mediterranean diets have been recommended) and what supplements people have tried and with what success. I see tumeric and black pepper have been highly recommended on some websites. I'm interested to learn more from a holistic approach to help manage symptoms along with getting my treatment plan later next month.

Comments

• Dannii28
    Dannii28 Member Posts: 65
    Options

Hi @LauraL

Welcome to the Online Community Forum, so pleased you have found us, you will find there are lots of resources and information available to you, please feel free to have a look around the website.

I see that you have been suffering with Seronegative Rheumatoid Arthritis and are looking to learn more about a holistic approach to help manage symptoms.  

I have attached some links below which you may find useful:

I would also suggest having a look around the other discussions as there might be other members that are going through the same thing as you and be able to share their own advice and experiences.

Let us know how you get on

Dannii (mod)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,483
    Options

Hi @LauraL

Sorry to hear about your recent diagnosis.

Most of us have tried different diets, supplements and the like over the years. I have yet to find one which works, but as long as your consultant is happy that what you take isn't interfering with your medication (and you can afford it) there is no harm at all in trying it.

I personally am vegan and do indeed follow quite a Mediterranean diet in the main. I think trial and error is the answer - some people do think certain things trigger their Arthritis like tomatoes for some? Not so for me.

I've read so much stuff, like meat causes inflammation for instance, but I don't know if I've ever read any reliable empirical evidence for this.

I am vegan for the environment and because I think animals have the right to life the same as me. Not for my health although I think it might have kept the weight down which is good for our joints I know that.

I hope you'll decide to keep posting we can support you when you start your treatment with any questions you might have.

Take care

Toni x