Type of arthritis

QIPARN Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:10 in Living with arthritis

Age 63, pain in neck,shoulder, elbow, fingers,knee,ankle for long time , been to doctors was giving ibuprofen (naxo) ,told to book physio, been back several time now on cocodamal, but no diagnosis of my symptoms, how do I know what arthritis it is , pretty sure it is arthritis but how to treat if not had confirmed???.Also new on site is CBD oil any good for pain,stiffness if so what's best one at reasonable price , so many options.Thanks folks, not great this thing called age


  • Poppyjane
    Poppyjane Moderator Posts: 671

    Hello @QIPARN welcome to the online community

    You have pain in many areas and have been prescribed ibuprofen and cocodamol but have so far not been given a diagnosis. You are pretty sure it is arthritis but would like confirmation so a proper treatment plan can be put in place. Do you know if there is a GP arthritis specialist in your practice? What did the physiotherapists think? If no suggestions from them, could you ask to be referred to a consultant?

    I attach some information links which will give you an opportunity to ask more detailed questions of your medical team

    We are all being encouraged to keep our joints and muscles as mobile and flexible as possible so with that in mind I also attach the new stretching videos which many of our members find really enjoyable.

    We are a friendly and supportive group and hope that you will join in with us again soon. I hope that you are able to gain a second opinion about your symptoms and begin to take the appropriate treatment for your condition soon.

    Do let us know how you get on.

    Take care


    If it would be helpful to talk to someone ring the Helpline 0800 5200 520

    Monday - Friday 9.00a.m. - 6.00p.m.

  • jonr
    jonr Member Posts: 358

    Welcome to the community QIPARN,

    First things first, you need to be formally diagnosed and that can involve a wait in itself as you'll need to be referred for XRays and or an MRI Scan. My GP referred me to an organisation called Connect Health that works with the NHS and acts as a sort of fast-track service for certain medical conditions, including MSK (Muscular Skeletal).

    This is the link to their website and if you scroll down you'll see alist of counties they operate in, click on the one which is yours and you'll get a telephone number, I'd give them a call and see what they say - they may offer to contact your GP, arrange a telephone or F2F appointment with one of their consultants. They may ask you to contact your GP first:

    Community members have had differing experiences of Cnnect Health, mine was very good, others not so.

    Now for CBD oil. I did some research on CBD and turned to online specialists because the oil and capsules sold in places like Holland and Barrett are in small doses and very expensive. I use a brand called Vibes CBD:

    I take the capsules myself, 1 in the morning, 1 in the evening. Along with the truckload of other supplements I take it's a good painkiller and helps me get a good night's sleep.

    Good luck - please let us know how you get on with being diagnosed,


  • Nfk_gal0617
    Nfk_gal0617 Member Posts: 39

    Hello Qiparn, Interesting reply from Jonr, Never heard of it before and I've done a lot of searching when I first experienced joint problems. I'll look into that myself.

    Getting a correct diagnosis is key, seems your GP aknowledges your pain by the drugs you are on, so maybe a referral to a specialist or Rheumatologist is needed.

    Best wishes and hope you get sorted soon, Nfk Gal