Just joined

Options
DoreenC
DoreenC Member Posts: 6
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:10 in Living with arthritis

Hello everyone. New to the group and have problems with my knees, mainly going up and down stairs

Comments

• Chris_R
    Chris_R Moderator Posts: 800
    Options

Hi @DoreenC

Welcome to the online community great to see you posting.

You write you are new to the forum and have problems with your knee going up and down stairs.

It would be good if you can tell us what type of arthritis you are going through at this moment then we can be more spefic in how we can help.

Please go onto our forums and talk to others it often helps and everyone is friendly and helpful.

All the best Christine

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• DoreenC
    Options

Thanks for the welcome. I've had stiffness in my knees for some time - did a lot of walking for years, Just before covid struck I had problem with right knee, kept giving way. I had keyhole surgery to clear out debris. Left knee is always stiff when I get up and seems to swell when rain is about. Don't get pain, the stiffness going up and down stairs is frustrating. Have tried exercising but sorry to say I soon lose interest. I know I should do more.

• janiebin
    janiebin Member Posts: 53
    Options

Lots of us say our joints are affected by the cold and damp.. Interesting that you don't get pain just stiffness going up and down stairs. Have you tried capsaicin cream, you can get it on prescription.

The stretching videos are good and worth looking at, you feel as though you are doing it with someone and that keeps your interest. I know the feeling though "should do more".!

• DoreenC
    Options

Tried the cream,but made little difference. I use Volterol when necessary. I will look at stretching exercises and try to do them every day

• CarylW
    CarylW Member Posts: 274
    Options

Need more help? Call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• jonr
    jonr Member Posts: 400
    Options

Hello Doreen,

I have OA in both knees and stiffness is a repetitive issue, particularly 1st thing. I got a deep tissue massaging gun from Amazon, I use this twice a day to go up and down my tendons at the back and sides of my knees, seems to help a lot.

I know what you mean about the exercises, they can be boring. I found building them into a daily routine helped make them a habit, it became as though doing them was 2nd nature but it is important to keep at it and walk too as this will strengthen the joints and prevent the knees from giving way, you may also find knee supports help too, I do.

Best of luck,

Jon

• DoreenC
    Options

Thanks Jon. Have started a simple routine. Walk round the block in the morning, takes about 10 minutes. In the afternoon I am doing the stretching exercises for knees. When I've done these I allow myself half an hour of watercolour painting.These are only small steps, but if I can keep this routine going for a few weeks it should become part of my daily routine. Fingers crossed

• DoreenC
    Options
  • jonr
    jonr Member Posts: 400
    Options

Spot on Doreen - routines become habits and habits are hard to break, easier to keep up even on days when you don't feel like you can get out of bed. There's so many things I can't do because they're now off-limits or hurt too much but those have been replaced by other things so I no lomger miss them, well not so much 😉. I believe in being good to myself, so I'll set a target to walk a certain distance or to a specific destination and my reward is a cuppa and a slice of cake, I find it really spurs me on to go above and beyond. Whatever your thing is you can build on it and be a stronger person physically and mentally. Good for you!