Newly diagnosed with RA

Options
JennaP
JennaP Member Posts: 3
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:10 in Living with arthritis

Hi all

I'm 38 and living in Jersey, diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis about a month ago.

After struggling with pain in my hands and feet for a few months I visited my GP and was told it was plantar fasciitis (feet) and RSI (hands) and was given exercises to do and a round of naproxen. Months went by and there was no improvement and walking was a real struggle, by this point I was taking ibuprofen like it was candy because it was the only thing that made any difference. I put off going back to my GP and eventually went back in January and he referred me to a physio to help with my 'plantar fasciitis', my knees had become effected now too so walking was even harder.

I had an amazing physio who ended up being more of a therapist and she put two and two together and realised it must have been some sort of inflamatory condition and sent me off to my GP for blood tests. After those results came back I was referred to a rheumatologist who confirmed the RA diagnosis. I am now gradually building up my methotrexate dosage and am finally starting to feel less pain, stiffness, fatigue etc and it's such a good feeling both mentally and physically. Don't get me wrong, there is still some pain and stiffness and I am not in good shape by a 'normal' persons standards, but fingers crossed things keep going in the right direction. Who knows, I may go wild and try some light exercise for the first time in a year!

I have a few holidays coming up this year and am a bit concerned about how my body is going to cope, the rheumatologist mentioned that some patients take a short course of steroids before holidays so I was wondering if this is something any of you do?

Also, I work in an office and after sitting down for long periods of time the stiffness really gets to me when I finally get up. Just wondering whether any of you have any of you benefitted from switching to a stand up desk?

Well that's my (very long winded) story, I'm more of a reader than a poster so you probably won't hear much from me, but I'll be lurking around reading all of your stories!

Comments