Psoriatic Arthritis

Options
Davie1984
Davie1984 Member Posts: 9
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:10 in Living with arthritis

Hi everyone, I’m Dave, 38 from Glasgow. I was diagnosed with sero-negative arthritis 10 years ago, it started in my knees and flare ups were maybe only every 6 months or so. I would get the knees drained and a steroid injected which seemed to help greatly. Over the years it became worse and last June I was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis, I’ve always had a little psoriasis on my scalp but was never mentioned , that’ll be why it wasn’t diagnosed till I was asked if I had psoriasis. The condition is now in my pelvis and whole spine. I’ve been in methotrexate injections , started last June, which didn’t agree with me , then sulfasalazine. I was hospitalised in January with a whole body flare and kept in for 8 days for pain relief and to let it settle. I got an MRI on my spine and they said it is axial spondyloarthropathy. They are now starting me on adalimumab next week , which I cannot wait to try. Since last summer I have been I much pain, after each flare it never settles to pre-flare levels. Over the past week the fatigue has been the worst ever , I actually feel faint sometimes with it. I’m starting to have another flare , hips , back , knees and shoulders are becoming increasingly painful and I’m dreading ending up in hospital if it is severe again. The disease has really got a grip on me now , probably because it was untreated for a decade , is there anyone who can give me some advice , about managing pains, dos and donts , how to stay positive and how bad it could become. I already have crutches for morning s and during flares, which has made me somewhat depressed.I have a 4 year old son who is very active and wants constant attention , and I also work full time, although I’m off for 2 weeks just now, thankfully. Thank you for hearing my story and I appreciate any advice .

Comments

• noddingtonpete
    noddingtonpete Moderator Posts: 1,012
    Options

Hello @Davie1984 and welcome to the Community. We are a friendly and supportive group and I hope that will be your experience as well.

I understand that you now have Psoriatic Arthritis and looking for hints and tips on pain management. I've put a couple of links in below which might be of help, but I am sure that others will connect with you to share their direct experiences (I have OA so do not have direct experience of what you are going through).

and

We also have a Helpline Mon to Friday 9am to 6pm (not Bank Hols) on 0800 5200 520 if you have any specific questions.

Once again welcome, you are now among friends you don't yet know you have.

Kind regards

Peter (moderator)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Davie1984
    Davie1984 Member Posts: 9
    Options

Thank you very for the advice. The pain article was quite helpful. I’m already taking paracetamol, dihydracodiene and etrocoxib. Don’t get much, if any benefit from them. When my flare is quite bad , as it is just now, it feels like the nerves up and down my spine are being crushed, also similar in my hips, constant headache and when I move my head it’s like the nerves get a jolt through my head and body. I asked my rheumatology nurse if this condition can have this effect on my head and she said no, so naturally I’m quite worried I have something else going on as well. I have read online that it can indeed affect the brain and inner ear etc, which would also explain the vertigo feeling during flares. I wonder has anyone one in the community experienced flares or symptoms like this. Sorry for going on a bit but this community is a treasure trove of information and nobody knows better than people experiencing it first hand. Thanks guys.