Help with something to occupy my sister

Options
strenabey
strenabey Member Posts: 2
edited 3. Apr 2023, 07:48 in Living with arthritis

My sister’s osteoarthritis is keeping her housebound more she needs something to occupy her she is not arty can’t knit or crochet any more not into jigsaws or online games does anyone have any suggestions of something she can do

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options

It's kind of you to look out for your sister.

We do sometimes lose the ability to do things we enjoy but, as you seem aware, that makes it important to find new enjoyments. I've practically lost count of the number of times I've done that. It can open up some fascinating new paths

But, although you tell us a bit about what your sister can no longer do, I think it'd help if you told us where her interests lay. Does she read? Can she get out with help? Maybe a scooter or rollator? Could she use a machine to continue knitting? If she is able to use a computer what about joining us on here? Also, many charities can use people with a few basic computer skills. Does she like cookimg or gardening? Many hobbies can be adapted to make them easier for us. What does she really enjoy?

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Trish9556
    Trish9556 Member Posts: 531
    Options

Hi

One thing I tend to do in my really bad times is diamond painting. It's incredibly easy, like painting my numbers and very therapeutic.

You poke a wand into a bit if wax, use it to pick up the right colour "diamond" and simply press it onto the painting. Everything is included and even I can do it with my knackered hands.

There are thousands available in online shops and she would definitely find something that she liked.

Love n hugs

Trish xx

• Rina
    Rina Member Posts: 85
    Options

Hi @strenabey

Has your sister got access to a PC or iPad? I really like the ‘ Let’s Move with Leon’ programme that Versus Arthritis run. It’s such a gentle introduction to movement and even when I’m in a lot of pain I find that I can still do some of the movements and they help me to feel better in a small way. Even my Mum, who is 93 and very immobile, enjoys doing them with me. Leon and his Mum are very cheery too. Here’s the link:

It’s lovely that you’re looking out for your sister! Rina

• Lisamac
    Lisamac Member Posts: 16
    Options

Hi strenabey

It's great you are trying to help your sister.

You say she can no longer knit or crochet,  so I'm assuming she has OA of her hands and probably other places. I too have OA of my hands, plus my knees and back. I cannot even fasten a button, so I understand the frustration of not being able to do everyday things.

I can however use a mouse and keyboard, most of the time. It did take several attempts to get a mouse that was comfortable for me. I use a wireless mouse and keyboard so I can sit back on my settee and put my feet up. My interest is family history. I use Ancestry to build a family tree. They have lots of records and you can supply your DNA and get matches to others that share some of you DNA.

I was wondering if your sister may be interested. It is very time consuming but great for days when you can hardly move and the day just seems to last forever. It helps the day go quicker. There is a monthly subscription, the best one being £19.95. Some months I can't afford it but you can just skip a month and your tree is saved for when you go back.

There are lots of other things she could try, like the suggestions in the other comments. Eventually your sister will find something that she likes but it will take time. My suggestion is, be patient with her and just be there for her. All she needs is your love and understanding.

Hope this helps.

Take care

Lisa

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options

@Lisamac , Just in case you're not aware of these helpful devices, button fasteners are great.

https://www.completecareshop.co.uk/daily-living-aids/dressing-aids/good-grips-button-hook?sku=F22739

They are also widely available in any disability store.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • JenHB
    JenHB Member Posts: 134
    Options

something I've recently started is bobbin lace, currently only one knuckle of mine is affected but saw it at a craft fair. I was also looking at tatting but that looked like it was likely to require more manual dexterity!

• Izzy72
    Izzy72 Member Posts: 31
    Options

I wonder whether she would like writing and sending postcards? I joined an online group called Postcrossing (its well established and safe) and the basic process is,

I send a postcard, when its received the person registers it, that puts my name in to the pot and I get a postcard from someone else.I do the same when I get a card and that puts the sender's name in the pot and so on. It's a one way system although you can choose to send and receive like a penpal. I joined last year when things were not so good and I love it, it takes my mind of being in pain and gives me something positive to do. I've started collecting stamps too so I now have 2 hobbies born from one! Its interesting to see where the cards go, how far away the place is etc etc so it can be very engaging.

• JenHB
    JenHB Member Posts: 134
    Options

just a follow up re diamond art - I bought one at a craft show recently, however some of the crystals are larger so need to use a pair of tweezers instead of the tool to position them. This is very fiddly and I can only do a small number before I feel my fingers cramping up.

• Trish9556
    Trish9556 Member Posts: 531
    Options

I've done quite a few if these and they have always been the same size. You could maybe try a straw dipped into the wax in any larger pieces?

Trish xx

• MaureenB
    MaureenB Member Posts: 29
    Options

Would she be interested in learning another language. Duolingo offers a lot of different languages and the courses are free. I have used it for Spanish and Greek. Perhaps she might like Spotify for listening to music, this is free if you accept the version with ads. Would she like to volunteer and befriend someone on the phone, your local volunteer bureau or Age Concern may have opportunities

• Lisamac
    Lisamac Member Posts: 16
    Options

Hi stickywicket

Thank you. I watched the little video with someone using it. I would not be able to use it but thank you for thinking of me. I get by, I just don't wear anything with buttons, buckles or zips. The only things I have with buttons or zips are my coats and I very rarely fasten them, if I do I usually ask someone else to fasten them, on a good day I can do a zip. I live alone but my sister is just two doors away and her husband is very good with buttons and zip and I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Take care

Lisa

• KC1
    KC1 Member Posts: 37
    Options

You don’t mention your sisters age so some of the ideas may not be of interest. Talking to her to see what she would like could be a useful place to start.

Family history is amazing and it can take you to so many places - virtually. It’s fun finding out about your ancestors and the real game changers in your family line.

gardening in pots, always a joy to get hands into soil or compost and you have something beautiful to look at for weeks or months.

weaving, rather than knitting

photography, using a remote

good luck