Steroid injection a week ago

Options
Ederner
Ederner Member Posts: 13
edited 2. Apr 2023, 20:14 in Living with arthritis

Hi all, I had a steroid injection into the CMC joint if my thumb under x-ray 10 days ago. It's the first time I've had it done under x-ray, previously they've been done blind (and have apparently caused more damage by being done blind.

My question is, it's more painful than normal, normally the pain goes away after a couple of days once the swelling goes down and the bruising goes. At the minute I'm struggling with it feeling weaker, and the lower half of my arm aches constantly and if I try and use my hands properly then I get sharp pain in my wrist, at the base of my thumb, almost where it bends ( if that makes sense). There's no redness, no bruising, nothing to indicate an infection at all.

Is this normal when it's been done under x-ray? I'm just not used to it and it's bothering me a bit that I've made a mistake having it done.

Comments

• Trish9556
    Trish9556 Member Posts: 525
    Options

Hi

I've had a lot of these in my cmc prior to my trapeziectomy. The pain and discomfort normally eases after a few days and I don't remember the discomfort you describe elsewhere but we are all different.

The first injection I had in my thumb was not guided and I collapsed in absolute agony that evening and can sympathise with you. Have you tried a thumb support that goes round the wrist?

It may be that they didn't quite hit the spot when they did it.

Did they say they would follow up with a phone call? I normally had one a couple of weeks post injection

Love n hugs

Trish

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,430
    Options

Hi @Ederner

I hope your pain has eased off now it's sounds really unpleasant. Do you have a number to contact for advice if it's still bad?

Please do let us know how you get on

Toni

• Ederner
    Options

Apologies, for some reason I didn't get a notification to say anyone has replied.

It's eased of a fair amount, I think maybe I'd overdone things in the day and that was kickback. I'm a bit worried though as I keep getting shooting pain in my thumb when I'm doing basic things, not all the time, it probably does it four or five times.

• Ederner
    Options

Four or five times a day but it feels like an electric shock.

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,430
    Options

Oh. I wouldn't be happy if I were you either. If it carries on you might still need to take advice. Sounds as though maybe you did overdo it before though.🤔

Hope it eases off today ((()))

Toni

• Ederner
    Options

I'm hoping a rest at the weekend will ease off.

Thanks everyone!