Osteoarthritis flare up

Options
Dapper1946
Dapper1946 Member Posts: 3
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:10 in Living with arthritis

I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis in both hips about 3 years ago but didn’t opt to go on a surgery list due to Covid. It has never given me too much discomfort but very recently I am experiencing severe pain in my right hip, buttock and groin, so much that I have difficulty in walking. Has anyone had similar experiences of flare up as I read on various websites that the pain often goes away and is only periodic?

Comments

• noddingtonpete
    noddingtonpete Moderator Posts: 1,012
    Options

Hello @Dapper1946 and welcome to the Community. We are a friendly and supportive group and I hope that will be your experience as well.

I understand that you have osteoarthritis in both your hips but did not opt for surgery and that you now have a lot of pain. Have a look through the following which might be of interest and help.

and also

Please keep posting and let us know how you are getting on and I am sure that others will connect with you to share their support as well.

With very best wishes

Peter (moderator)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Dapper1946
    Dapper1946 Member Posts: 3
    Options

After a weekend of serious pain in my buttock and groin, I visited my GP today. As I have a heart condition, I cannot be given anti inflammatory medication and a stomach disorder plus a double hernia means codein is not advisable in case of constipation. Any advice on options would be appreciated. I am now getting a referral for surgery.

• jonr
    jonr Member Posts: 398
    Options

Hello Dapper1946,

There are a lot of "natural" treatments available and most are listed on the website. These include TENS machines, Acupuncture and dietary supplements such as CBD, Bromelain, Turmeric and gels like FlexiSeq, Curcumin, Hemp and Diclofenac. Most of these are available on the high street from pharmacies or online. If you're interested in understanding more about what they do and possible side-effects I would recommend a chat with Holland and Barratt or your local Pharmacist, that's what I did and most of these are pretty safe. I think it's a case of trial and error as you may find some are more effective than others or you simply don't get on with them.

Hope you can find something which works so your quality of life improves.

Take care,

Jon

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,430
    Options

You probably already know that osteoarthritis is in an anti-inflammatory so won't try that just thought I'd mention it.

I swear by my microwavable wheatbag for flares of OA?

Take care and best of luck hope it settles soon.

Toni