Hemp/capsicum Creams

Options
Trish9556
Trish9556 Member Posts: 525
edited 3. Apr 2023, 11:06 in Living with arthritis

Hi all

I was browsing that well-known selling site that's named after a river for an alternative for voltarol and ralgex/deep heat which I currently use on my wrists and hips. And are losing their effectiveness.

Flexi seq I know is very good but my drs won't prescribe it anymore and is expensive.

I'm nervous about capsicum cream near my hands and hips and never heard of hemp cream before.

I've seen mixed reviews on both of those but would like to know the thoughts of fellow members who have used these before I buy them.

Love n hugs

Trish xx

Comments

• noddingtonpete
    noddingtonpete Moderator Posts: 1,014
    Options

Hello @Trish9556 I use Capsaicin cream on my hands. You just need to make sure you do not rub your eyes or mouth afterwards as it is chili. One tip - I apply the cream and then put on compression gloves so it avoids the contact if I do rub my eyes.

It is available on prescription and does provide some relief from the pain (at least for me).

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Trish9556
    Options

Thanks @noddingtonpete

I'll have a look though the links

Love n hugs

Trish xx

• jonr
    jonr Member Posts: 398
    Options

Hi Trish,

It's bewildering how many cream and gels there are on the market and wow, the price!

So first things first - saving money. I buy my flexiSeq from online from iPharm. 50g is only £12.

I use Motusol instead of Votorol, Superdrug sell a 50G tube for £6.74 so a lot cheaper and it's exactly the same.

I'm using both Capsicum cream and Hemp cream and I think both are effective in different ways. Capsicum includes an ingredient which turns off a pain receptor in the brain. It's available in 2 strengths (1 for OA and a higher potency version for RA), the higher one in general needs to be prescribed but the lower strength one I use is available on eBay. Thing is it's really expensive but my GP refuses to prescribe it so I use it sparingly, usually before any gym work or a demanding walk.

The Hemp cream I use is a brand called 5KIND sold via Amazon but it's cheaper direct from the 5KIND website, there are plenty of testimonials from Arthritis sufferers who use it and as it's not too pricey, I throw that into the mix for good measure. There appears to be no side effects, no hallucinations or drowsiness and it smells nice so I think it's pretty benign.

Hope that helps!

Jon

• Trish9556
    Options

Thank you Jon!

I've not heard of Motusol so that's a new one to throw into the equation - I'm not working any more so don't get into my local superdrug anymore but will see what I can do although my Voltarol doesn't seem to be working quite as well as it was - not sure if the wrist has deteriorated or if I've just got immune to it but I think it's probably time to try something else. My GP refuses to prescribe 'topical creams' anymore since they'e now run by a not very good (in my opinion) practice group.

The Hemp cream was a new one for me and if it smells nice, that's a bonus and if it works that's even better! I might see if I can find a smaller pot to test it rather than invest in a bigger jar to start with. It's always good to know that a product seems to be approved by Arthritis sufferers as well.

I certainly have something to think about now unless anybody else has another product to throw into the equation!

Love n hugs

Trish xx

• jonr
    Options

Hi Trish,

I came across Motusol whilst browing on the Lloyds Pharmacy website, their version of Voltorol 12 hour gel is exactly the same product and identical strength - I ordered 10 tubes as it was on sale down to £3.99 per 50G tube which is why I think they've now sold out! An eBay shop is selling a 50G tube of the same stuff (2.32%) for £8.99 including free postage. 5KIND sell the Hemp cream in a 100G tube, that's what I started with before buying a 300G tub on sale, I like it. I occasionally use Tiger Balm but the smell's offputting, it's not unpleasant, just strong so it's reserved for outdoor jaunts. Have you tried a TENS machine at all? I plug myself in for half and hour per day, I'm also 5 treatments in with an Acupuncturist who I think has made the biggest difference in as much as I'm having less "episodes" (where a tendon or my knee caps will ping or I get a really sharp stabbing pain) and when I do get them there's less pain. It's expensive though but for me, wholly justifiable and she tells me I'll be able to go down to monthly or quarterly treatments once the longevitity has kicked in. Apart from my trusty massage gun, these are the things I've found which work for me, but some others such as Glucosamine have been disastrous.

Cheers,

jon

• Trish9556
    Options

Hi Jon

Yes, I have my trusty tens machine which I put on in the morning and use as I need to. It also has massage option which helps which also goes on as needed.

I was given a course of acupuncture a few years back but itae me a nasty shade if green and best friends with my knees I the bathroom floor. Never again!

I can't take anti inflammatories due to diverticulitis either.

Whilst I love my tens machine I do need another option for in bed summer days and days when I need to dress up and not have to wear my tens machine bag. Hence the reason for looking at the creams - especially when I want to avoid tramadol on special occasions.

Love n hugs

Trish xx

• jonr
    Options

Ah, that's understood Trish. If you're able to take natural anti-inflammatories then there are other options apart from Ibuprofen and Naproxen, such as Bromelain and Turmeric. I totally understand about exploring less "visible" pain relief so the gels and creams make a lot of sense and probably the best option available. Sorry to hear about the Acupuncture, it doesn't suit everyone. Please let us know how your investigations work out.

Jon