First time poster - hip OA - question re 'start up' pain

Options
Jojo72
Jojo72 Member Posts: 31
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:10 in Living with arthritis

Hi all, hope everyone is doing OK.

I was diagnosed with hip arthritis about 18 months ago after going to the doctors with back and knee pain. I had an MRI and x-rays that showed scoliosis, stenosis and degeneration in my spine and OA in my left hip. Knees are both OK so obviously the pain I get in those is referred. I had my second hip injection in Jan this year and it's already wearing off (first one lasted around 10 months).

I've had physio and do my exercises at home (probably not as often as I should because, well, pain). Consultant says I'm too heavy and too young (51yrs) for hip replacement at the moment so wants to wait a few years if possible.

I've started losing weight - 17lb down so far but a long way to go. Once I hit a 'normal' weight I'm going to push to have the surgery because this pain is just making me miserable and impacting my day to day life.

So, my question is, do any of you have any tips for dealing with 'start up pain'....I'm ok sat down (well my leg aches but I can deal with that) but when I stand up to walk ...those first 5-10 steps are sooo painful. Painkillers don't seem to make a difference. Once I'm up and moving I can do about 15 minutes of slow steady walking but it's just that initial getting up (even if I've only been sat for a few mins). I dread putting my weight on my left leg. I'm hoping losing the weight will help but if any of you have any strategies to help with this start up pain, I'd be really grateful. Tia Jo x

Comments

• anneb82
    anneb82 Member Posts: 317
    Options

Hello @Jojo72

Welcome to the online community and thank you for joining us. I hope that you will find this a friendly and helpful space.

So you have a few diagnosis that happened 18 months ago with your main concern being the pain that comes from the osteoarthritis in your hip. You find it the hardest when you first stand and take your first 5-10 steps. You find that the pain is at its worse at that moment and it is the same regardless of how long you have been resting before you stand. You have been told that they want to wait longer before adding you to the list for a hip replacement due to your age and weight, although you are successfully making right steps to loose this extra weight they are concerned about. You are looking for advice on what can help with the pain you are experiencing.

It sounds like you have been having a hard time of late so thank you for sharing what's been going on with you with us. I know it can be hard to cope with joint pain, especially when you can not the end in sight. You have come to the right place though as we have lots of information that can help as well as lots of members who either experience what you are going through or have a similar experience, that I'm sure will share what helped them once they have seen your post.

I've put together some information below that I think will be of use/interest to you. Please do have a look when you have a chance. The top link also has information on free exercise programs that Versus Arthritis run which you may be interested in.

Please do let us know how you are getting on and please do continue to keep getting involved in the community. Val's Café is a popular category for some, especially if you are looking to make new friends.

Take Care

Anne (Moderator)

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,430
    Options

Hi @Jojo72

There are lots of 'hippies' on here I'm sure someone will be along soon to tell you what they try.

First of all I want to offer my huge congratulations for losing so much weight😊 That is fabulous well done and I hope soon you are low enough to push for the surgery you need.

Have you tried heat? I am thinking heat patches that you stick on? Some people actually like deep head the cream. Is it possible to do some gentle stretches prior to moving? Do you ahve anything to lean on - walking aids like a frame which could take some of the pressure off?

Sorry those are my only ideas I'll leave you to the hip experts.

I hope you'll decide to hang about.

Take care

Toni x

• Jojo72
    Jojo72 Member Posts: 31
    Options

Oh wow, thank you both for such a lovely, warm welcome.

I'll definitely check those links out, thanks Anne, (@anneb82) I think having as much information about my condition as possible will help me feel much better prepared.

At the moment I can't seem to pinpoint what helps and what doesn't so I'll read with interest. I'm also looking forward to hearing other people's experiences.

Thanks Toni, (@frogmorton) I've still got a way to go with my weight but determined to get there as soon as I can.

Funnily enough, I bought some stick on heat patches at weekend but wasn't sure whether to stick them where the pain is originating (my hip) or where I'm actually feeling the pain (mostly my knee), any ideas?

Thanks again both

Take care

Jo x

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,430
    Options

Knee I think @Jojo72 maybe a case of trial and error though.

They got me through many a rough day at work with my back not a cure by any means but a help.

One word of warning I did try foolishly to wear one in bed one night but when I woke up it had meandered onto my stomach and did leave a mark 😳

Lovely to have you on board☺️

Toni x